Trying to find an activity for "Reforming the Industrial Revolution"

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Padawan, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Padawan

Padawan Rookie

Apr 24, 2012

I am student teaching at the moment and have a lack of activities in my tool box are there any activities anyone can suggest for teaching the reform movements during the industrial revolution.

We just discussed factory and living conditions and its the perfect segway but I can't seem to be able to find an activity that will help break the ice or sum up the lesson.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 24, 2012

What have you been Googling?

4. Padawan

Padawan Rookie

Apr 24, 2012

I have googled "reforming the industrial world" "industrial revolution reformers" "industrial revolution reform movement" and all I seem to be getting is a bunch of PPT's which yes they do help in setting up a lecture but I could really use some sort of activity to get the students involved with the material.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 24, 2012

Try extending your search term. When I want Web sites with animations that illustrate a point, I'll add "applet" to my search time. If you add "activity" to your search terms, it's likely to help.

A good first approach to any given topic is to Google the topic followed by "lesson plans".

It will be fairly British, but it wouldn't surprise me to find that the BBC's educational Web pages offer up something useful.

6. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Apr 24, 2012

Padawan - Charles Dickens wrote "A Christmas Carol/Scrooge" in response to the industrial revolution. (Not forgetting your fellow man while the industrial revolution is contributing to a booming economy in England) While it may be out of place in April/May, maybe you could tie it in to what your teaching and conclude with a "Christmas in May" activity? Could be fun!

:cool:

7. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Apr 25, 2012

Marx and Engels. Why not go right to the heart of the matter?

8. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2012

I've got a bunch of topic-neutral history assignments on my website at www.mrroughton.com. Any number of them could be adapted to fit your topic. I'd recommend first looking at the profiler stuff for this topic in particular.

9. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Apr 29, 2012

I'm serious about Engels: see his The Condition of the Working Class in England for vivid and insightful descriptions of the costs of industrialization. There used to be a selection in Norton's Anthology, but in more recent editions have probably replaced it with some stupid homage to Margaret Dumont or something.

Followup:Yeah; it's online. See "The Industrial Proletariat" and especially "The Great Towns" (about Manchester).

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 29, 2012

Try docsteach.org and search for industrial revolution. There may be activities already created on the topic, or you can use the archives database of docs and pictures to create your own activity.

11. thewife

thewife Rookie

Apr 30, 2012

Have them become factory workers and make a product..something cheap and maybe silly but an assembly line kind of thing. Like putting together beads on a necklace or something simple and each person has one thing to do...Maybe not just a thought..it involves them and maybe help them remember what the industrial revolution was all about.