Trying to find a job... some questions

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Walker, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Walker

Walker Rookie

Jul 17, 2017

Hi!
    I have some questions and i know I can get knowledgeable answers and a variety of opinions here. I've been looking for a teaching position since June with no luck which i understand because my Bachelor's Degree is in Marketing/Business Administration (not education) and i have just about 2 years of experience working in summer camps and as a teacher's assistant. A friend told me that principals usually consider people that are certified first and then they are more open to hire people that are in the process of getting certified, so she thinks i will have more opportunities when August gets closer. What are your thoughts on that??

Another question, I've been to four interviews and two of those interviews went very well (at least that's what i thought) in both occasions they mentioned something like "we love your personality and the fact that you are bilingual... we think you would be a great member to this school" but then they never called so... my question is, is this normal? are they saying those things just to say "bye" in a nice way? Because i had an interview and the principal was very honest (which i prefer), she said that she could see my passion for the job but that she was worried about my classroom management due to the fact that I've never had my own class.

Third and last question! What do you think about sending a thank you email after the interview? I started doing it because my sister says that it is a MUST (she is a teacher)

I am getting frustrated now because i don´t want to go back to work as a teacher's assistant, the pay is horrible and I know I could be working on my field and doing much better but i really have a passion for this job... i really don´t know what to do: give up and work on something i don't love or keep trying and sacrificing to get the job that has a true meaning for me

Thanks for reading this loooooong post, i am ready for some good and meaningful answers!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  3. consciousteach

consciousteach Rookie

Jul 17, 2017

1. If a school says that they are looking for certified applicants, that means that they usually are adamant about that. Several principals wanted me to bring copies of certification. From what I've heard interviews happen all throughout the summer. It's July and I've had three interviews. I have two more this week. So you can hear something in August.

2. You can never know with principals. One told me that they didn't want to wait too long and told me not to accept any offers. This was three weeks ago. As of now, the position is still posted and my status is in process. He even posted the job on a job board. To answer your question, you don't know until you sign the contract. I would move on and keep applying.

3. I don't think it can hurt to send a thank you note in email. I actually sent one out via snail mail after one of my interviews.

Walker likes this.
  4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2017

So I do believe your lack of certification is an issue here. How close are you to getting liscensed? Are you getting a degree in ed or going alt route?

bella84 and Walker like this.
  5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Jul 17, 2017

I'm assuming you're applying to teach business. Honestly, I don't know why they wasted their time interviewing you if they could see by your resume that you weren't certified. Maybe they thought you would tell them that you were on your way to being certified? You haven't mentioned it so I'm assuming you haven't started on the path to remedy this (contact your college's certification department, etc.).

6. Walker

Walker Rookie

Jul 17, 2017

i am going to do a alternate route and i believe I can get the license in a few months but to apply for a tuition reimbursement with my school district, i first need to have my Praxis I and II (done that) and be in the position i want to get certified for... some principals look for just certified and others are open to other options and accepting people with just a bachelors degree willing to get certified (which is my case)

I want to get certified for Elementary Education with a ESL add on, i wish i could pay for my own tuition but with 1050 monthly salary i can't

7. Walker

Walker Rookie

Jul 17, 2017

i forgot to click reply but i answered your question =)

8. Walker

Walker Rookie

Jul 17, 2017

thanks... my certification will be on elementary education with an ESL add on... there´s a section to apply for a teaching position if you're certified and another one for non certified teachers... i am applying for a non certified teaching position

9. anon55

anon55 Comrade

Jul 17, 2017

If you're serious about a career as a teacher, you have to get certified. The only places that hire uncertified are very low paying/difficult schools that are desperate.

Just because they say something nice doesn't mean they're lying to you or misleading. It just means they like you but they like someone else more if they didn't hire you.

Always send thank you emails, and call to follow up to check the status too.

Walker likes this.
  10. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Jul 17, 2017

What type of position are you applying for if not a teacher's assistant and not a certified teaching position? I don't think any school is likely to hire you without you having certification. Sounds like you are in a catch 22. No one will hire you without certification, and you won't get certified without being hired (and receiving tuition reimbursement - which many districts do not offer, FYI). If you want to be a teacher that badly, it sounds like you'll need to find a way to come up with the money it takes to be certified.

11. Walker

Walker Rookie

Jul 17, 2017

I am applying for a not certified teaching position. In this school district they hire people even though they are not certified, as long as you have a bachelors and pass Praxis Core and Praxis Content Knowledge. Once they hire you, they give you about 6 months to get a practitioner's license that you can renew for up to 3 years until you finish your certification. I know they don't offer tuition reimbursement in many districts, here they DO offer it for critical shortage areas.

And yes, i guess if i don't get a job, i will just go back to work on my field (marketing) for a year to be able to afford my tuition.

12. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 17, 2017

I think Walker is looking for a job that will hire an Alternate Route teacher. Don't give up, because districts probably prefer standard route teachers who are already credentialed, as the start of school approaches, you will probably have better luck. A lot depends on your state and the general market in your area, but don't get too pessimistic yet. Good luck.

Walker likes this.
  13. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Jul 17, 2017

Just curious - what state are you talking about? I know a lot about NJ, for instance, nothing about Florida. Help us help you.

Walker likes this.
  14. Walker

Walker Rookie

Jul 17, 2017

YES!! Here in Louisiana we have the Alternate Route option. Thanks! =)

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Jul 18, 2017

Sorry, I didn't realize they had that option in your state. Since you said you were a business/marketing major I assumed you wanted to teach business. Elementary education doesn't have anything to do with business so I'm a bit confused as to why the major switch.

16. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Jul 18, 2017

OK, I did a quick run through of the AR program in LA. As I understand it, you can pass the Praxis PPST exams and the Praxis II exam/s for the content that you want to pursue, enroll for a Practitioners Teacher Program, which may be a university or a private program, and the state will issue you a PL1 certificate that will allow you to be hired. The certificate is good for a year and can be renewed for two more years, for a total of three years. There is significant course work involved in the AR training, as there should be. There is a minimum number of semester hours per year and for each endorsement, but there is some way that contact hours is calculated in lieu of coursework hours - I don't know the particulars of that, as it varies per program. When you have met the requirements, you are issued a Level 1 Professional Certificate when the requirements of the AR program have been met.

Now that I understand how it works, I have some questions that I don't think have been answered. Have you already enrolled in the PTP and acquired your PL1 certificate? I think that you will seriously need to have that certificate in hand to be seriously considered for a job. With that certificate, you are on solid footing when looking for a job. The schools know you will be new and learning, but the coursework is something they understand. With that certificate, you are considered "certified" as far as the requirements are concerned. Otherwise, from a schools perspective, they could hire you but you may not be able to get the certificate in time to be legal for the coming school year. If there is a serious teacher shortage, the first thing that I would want to know is a teacher shortage in what certificate classifications. Around here, Elem. Ed. and SS are plentiful, so a bad choice. Math and Science, however, always in need. I think the ESL is good, but perhaps becoming certified as bilingual would be much better. Perhaps even a foreign language would be valuable, since around here every school must offer instruction in a world language.

I have no idea how expensive the PTP programs are, or if the cost varies from program to program. In NJ, there was a huge range in the cost for the AR programs, from, "Wow, I can afford that" to "I don't want to pay for a masters and go into debt." Some programs will defer payment until you have a teaching job, which might be something to research.

I understand what you are trying to do, and hope that my interpretation of your situation is on track. Yes, I came through NJ's AR program, and I have watched it change over the years. These programs are always evolving to meed the needs of the districts and applicants. Hope I have given you several things to think about. Oh, and I highly suggest looking at your resume and cover letter to make sure that it is geared to show off the skills you already have that would be beneficial in education and that show you have a realistic understanding of the program you are about to enter.

Best of luck!

Walker likes this.