Truly not sure what to do

Discussion in 'General Education' started by yoyoyo, Mar 21, 2019.

  1. Reality Check

    Reality Check Habitué

    Joined:
    May 29, 2010
    Messages:
    910
    Likes Received:
    26

    Mar 22, 2019

    My first few years were in elementary, but it was in the Catholic schools. I'm afraid I'm not going to be a good source as far as K-5 is concerned.
     
  2. yoyoyo

    yoyoyo Rookie

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2019
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    4

    Mar 24, 2019

    Thanks for the advice, all. I crunched the numbers. The moving expenses eat up the raise, and possibly also me having to buy COBRA between contracts will eat the rest. I think I am going to turn it down. It feels crazy to me as I have been looking to leave my school now for three years, knowing that they have the declining enrollment, and due to being unhappy with the school board, but several days last week and also yesterday and today I have had the feeling nagging at me that something is not right. I tend to be logical and analytical so I hate that I am having it be based on a 'feeling' but I just think, I wouldn't have felt wishy washy for almost thirteen days if I was sure about it. It isn't the kids, as my current school is pretty rough as it is and I do think I could handle it, but something just feels off inside me. I know it means I may return to my current school for another year and that is disappointing to me in the short term but I am glad to have a job where I love most of my kids too.

    In addition, it isn't enough of a monetary increase to be enticing in the short term. I went to look for apartments yesterday and the apartments would cost just about the same as what I have now, so I wouldn't save all that much on the main cost of livings (rent) either. I'm going to keep looking.
     
    Backroads likes this.
  3. readingrules12

    readingrules12 Fanatic

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    Messages:
    2,978
    Likes Received:
    408

    Mar 24, 2019

    This is one of those decisions that if 10 teachers did it, some would find it worth it and some not. I think it is highly personal. Your increase in pay and benefits is a plus, although it doesn't sound like a large increase. It probably will be rougher with behavior, and you'll probably find that a minus. Is it worth it? I think that is a highly personal decision. Please remember you have a 3rd choice as well. Find a school that pays better and might not be so rough in behavior. It is only March and most hirings for teachers haven't happened yet.
     
    Backroads and futuremathsprof like this.
  4. yoyoyo

    yoyoyo Rookie

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2019
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    4

    Mar 24, 2019

    Yes, see the above post. I have decided that I will likely decline it. It is not a large enough increase (only about $1K) and while I do think I can handle the behavior, something about it feels off to me. I am going to keep looking and use my current school as a fall back in the event that nothing else works out. Worst comes to worse, I can continue looking next year. I want a situation that is going to work out long term for me, not a stop gap and this just didn't feel right to me.
     
  5. futuremathsprof

    futuremathsprof Aficionado

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2014
    Messages:
    3,607
    Likes Received:
    972

    Mar 24, 2019

    Did you only apply to one other district? If it were me and I was looking, I would apply to many places.
     
  6. yoyoyo

    yoyoyo Rookie

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2019
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    4

    Mar 24, 2019

    Oh no of course not. I have applied for many jobs.

    Also, I do agree with your assessment on long term goals. To be clear, I am saving for retirement and I have a large chunk of salary saved up in an emergency fund as well. It would just be easier with a higher salary and better retirement plan. This particular job though, only netting $1K *and* with the hesitations about the behavior, school, and admin...I just felt wierd about the whole thing.
     
  7. futuremathsprof

    futuremathsprof Aficionado

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2014
    Messages:
    3,607
    Likes Received:
    972

    Mar 24, 2019

    Did you hear back from any others besides this one?
     
  8. yoyoyo

    yoyoyo Rookie

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2019
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    4

    Mar 24, 2019

    I have had a screening interview at a district that interests me a lot. I have also had several private school interviews but those don't pay as well.
     
  9. futuremathsprof

    futuremathsprof Aficionado

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2014
    Messages:
    3,607
    Likes Received:
    972

    Mar 24, 2019

    What do you make right now and what did the private schools offer? You should try negotiating if you feel their offers are too low. Also, what is the salary the district that is screening you offering?
     
    Backroads likes this.
  10. yoyoyo

    yoyoyo Rookie

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2019
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    4

    Mar 24, 2019

    I make just under 45. Not super comfortable posting actual figures on here.

    Private was around 55. Sounds like a lot but COL wil eat it immeadiately. In one of the most expensive places in state and maybe country. Rent would quite literally eat up 50%.

    District Im interested in would be just under 50 but MUCH lower cost of living than privatenoffering 55. Other district jobs I have applied for also are around this.
     
  11. futuremathsprof

    futuremathsprof Aficionado

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2014
    Messages:
    3,607
    Likes Received:
    972

    Mar 24, 2019

    Of course! No need to go into specifies — figures in the general case will suffice.

    And not too bad. What percentage of your projected income do you think will go to rent in the lower COL-area?
     
  12. yoyoyo

    yoyoyo Rookie

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2019
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    4

    Apr 5, 2019

    I am not sure, but less than near 50 percent, which is what I pay now.

    I did turn this particular job down, as something about it felt off to me. I am wondering if it was a mistake or not but the best I can do is keep looking.

    In the thick of interviewing for others.

    My issue now is that my current school is going to want contracts by the beginningof May, and many public hire later. What are my options? Can I keep looking iver the summer and then resign my current job before school starts if no progress is made in the next three weeks if I am offered later in the summer a public school job? Should I ask for an extension on the contract due date?
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. Ima Teacher,
  2. miss-m,
  3. TheGr8Catsby,
  4. Linguist92021,
  5. i.heart.trees
Total: 367 (members: 5, guests: 326, robots: 36)
test