True!

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by pwhatley, Jul 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2013

Too bad people don't think it is true...

4. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2013

That's because it isn't even close to true.

My contracted hours are 8:30 to 3:30 which is not 8 hours and even includes a lunch. I get there at 8 by choice, admittedly and often stay until 4. That pushes me to a full 8 hour day. Parent conferences and all grading takes place during these hours. I do not take work home. Ever. Do I plan at home? Yes, only because I enjoy it.

My entire summer is mine. Every few years I am offered the chance to go on an expenses paid training at a beautiful resort in San Diego.

I am incredibly well paid for what I get to do.

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 24, 2013

Then more power to you rockguykev - you are one of the lucky few!

6. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 24, 2013

Yes, really. I am definitely NOT well paid, particularly given the population I teach.

7. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jul 24, 2013

"Fantasyland" must be a great place to visit! :cool:

Yes, the numbers on that graphic are pretty accurate.

8. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 24, 2013

I tend to agree. I am happy with my standard of living. I have no desire to look for a new job.

While I do take work home, I ONLY take work home because I enjoy it. I enjoy planning, taking PD, reading "teacher" texts.

So I may technically work many hours, most of the time it feels like I am hardly working at all.

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 24, 2013

I disagree that they are accurate. I work usually from 7-3:30 with half an hour for lunch. Our contracted hours are 7:45-3:10. I don't take work home. I also know few people who are REQUIRED to go back a month before students. We go back two days before our students. Most around here go back no earlier than 1 week before students.

On the other end, it takes WAY longer than 3 weeks to plan my curriculum!

I make approximately $24 an hour. I feel like that is a bit low but I can live fairly comfortably on it and I realize my school is AMAZING!

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 24, 2013

I know I work most days of the week 7:30-5:00--4:00 is our official dismissal time but there are after school programs/tutorials/meetings that I stay after for. Yes, that's a choice it's not required (besides the meetings)-but I do feel like I work a very long week and don't get paid anything for that extra time. That's before thinking about work done in the evenings-planning, preparing activities, returning e-mails.

We go back 2 weeks before the kids arrive (voluntarily sooner if you actually want to have time to set up your room) and this year I was required to do a week of pd during the summer. I think the point is that many of us do above and beyond our job expectations without the overtime that many professions get for the same extra work, but are still given a hard time about not working summers.

11. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 24, 2013

How many teachers here are required to show up to work 4 weeks before school starts?

We have to show up I think 0, maybe 1 at most.

But 4 weeks, never heard of this before.

12. MJH

MJH Companion

Jul 24, 2013

3 Weeks

I had to report back 3 week before students plus a week to get my room ready so that makes 4 weeks for me. I don't get but maybe a half day to set up my room during those three weeks otherwise I'm in PD. It was mandatory this year because we are also doing curriculum planning and making common formative assessments.

13. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 24, 2013

Yeah, I didn't think it was accurate. For me, at least. This Summer, for example, I have 4 days of PD, and only one of them is technically required. Also, I don't spend three weeks planning my curriculum. I spend all the time planning. It's not something you can plan and then do. It changes all the time as you allow assessment to drive instruction and as you discover new methods or ideas to make your plans more interesting or beneficial. I don't know what he's talking about going back to school four weeks early. We go back on Monday and the kids return on Thursday. I actually WISH we had longer to get our rooms ready and make plans with our teams! My day lasts from 7:20-2:50 and lunch is a duty-free half hour, so that means my contracted day is SEVEN hours. Any time I have training or meetings outside my regular days I am compensated for it. Also, I don't work 9 months a year- I work almost TEN months. Finally, my pay is nowhere near $49,000 and this will be my 7th year teaching. I do spend several hours a week planning or grading papers outside my contracted hours.

14. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 24, 2013

It's not accurate for me. Maybe for a first year teacher. Granted, I am super organized and consider that one of my major strengths and skills. This is definitely not true for all the teachers I know.

I work a 7.25 hour contract day. I'm usually am there an extra 30minutes, by choice. I get paid for any after school tutoring. We do have unpaid after school events 5ish times per year, only 2 of which are required (conference nights).

Towards the end of the year, I do start staying later after contract time to prepare things for the beginning of the next year. I keep a notebook called "things to change" and jot in it whenever an idea for next year hits. At the end of the year, I start getting things ready to implement the changes I want to make.

I don't take work home to grade or plan. I spend a lot of time on this site, and sometimes I look up new ideas for fun.

During the summer, the only days I go in to school are days that I choose to, so that teacher work week is not so stressful. We are not required by my district to do any PD over the summer, unless it is needed for recertification. Even then, we can do I during the school year instead if we want the summer free. To be honest, many of my coworkers admit that they don't give much of a thought to school over the summer.

15. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Jul 24, 2013

We have to be at school 1 week before school starts with 4 extra comp days sometime in the summer. Most teachers at my school come 2-3 weeks before school starts to set up their rooms.

16. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 24, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.