Traveling Abroad for Teachers?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Miss Kirby, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 29, 2011

Sigh.... I spend way too much of my life doing google searches about teaching and traveling abroad and then I feel sad because I am wasting my life dreaming about things instead of actually doing them! :\

2. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 30, 2011

Check out TeachAway.

3. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Sep 30, 2011

Yes, TeachAway is how most of the teachers come to Abu Dhabi. They also send many teachers to Japan as well as other locations, mostly in Asia and the Middle East where the demand is.

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Oct 1, 2011

I hate to say it... But I worry with the constant turmoil if the Middle East is safe for Americans. I guess it is my own problem. But I worry since you hear so much in the news.

5. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Oct 1, 2011

I was worried too before I came here. I researched the specific country before I came and everything I found claimed that it was a very safe country to live in. After reading that in multiple places I decided to try it, and if I didn't like it or didn't feel comfortable, to leave.
    After being here for over a year, I couldn't agree more that it is a very safe place to live. In fact, I would say that it is even more safe here than in the United States. This particular country is one where people from other ME countries come to escape the terror in their own countries. Most of the population is made up of expatriate workers so it is regarded as a safe haven. There are no riots here, nor do you hear of drive-by shootings, robberies and other crime I was accustomed to reading daily in the news at home. I was here when Bin Laden was killed back in May and all throughout the Arab spring, and not once did I have anyone say anything to me. The American population here is pretty high, and growing every year with the education reform and the recruitment of 1,000 teachers/ year.
    But, this is just one country. I don't think I would feel as safe in a different country in the Middle East, other than maybe Oman (I live on the border) or Qatar.

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 1, 2011

The DoDEA website is great!

They have schools in England! Take a look and see what you like. I found an interesting school about an hour and a half from London. Wow. It sounds like a great opportunity. I would love love love to go teach in England. I think it would be wonderful to teach in a foreign country to US military children, and still have the foreign culture at your fingertips. Travel to Europe would be easy for holidays. I will definitely look into this for the future. I would love to take a sabbatical and do something like this.

7. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Oct 2, 2011

I should probably look into the DoDEA. I just worry because it sounds like you don't have a choice where you go in the beginning... and you have to commit before you find out where they will place you. At least that's what it sounded like!

I got the packet of info from the University of Indiana's teacher practicum program. It sounds really great but expensive. Airfare, tuition (over $1000), room and board, etc.

8. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2011

Yeah, I was hoping IU's program was more of a package thing, which may have helped with the cost. I need to e-mail to get a ballpark figure for room and board for the areas I would like to go to. I might be able to get some PD money to help with tuition, though. Still seriously considering it...

9. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Nov 18, 2011

Did you find out more info about it, amakaye? Playing the Fulbright waiting game but wondering if I should be searching for Plan B????

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2011

Right now is recruiting season for international schools so if you wait much longer you could miss an opening for next school. Schools are beginning to interview, attend job fairs, and hire. So, if you are still planing on doing this for next school year, you'll need to be active about it now.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 19, 2011

Travelling & teaching abroad is an experience of a lifetime, I'm sure. I've never done it, but I probably could. If I could try it for just 2-4 mos, that would be good for me to see how I liked it. I know, some may say, that's not nearly enough time to really immerse yourself & know if you'll like it, but I think it takes a certain kind of person. I'm independent in a certain way, but maybe not enough to do something like this. I'd want to do it w/ at least 1 friend.

For those who are going to do it, enjoy!

12. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 8, 2012

Ahhhhh here I am again. Didn't get Fulbright the second time around either. Trying to figure out what to do this summer. I'm considering...
    Teaching English for 2 weeks in Poland (Global Volunteers)
    Doing a tour in Eastern Europe (Rick Steves' - Just don't know how I feel about going by myself)
    Another volunteer program (Cross Cultural Solutions is one of them - there are too many choices!!)
    Language Exchange Homestay (Greenheart Travel)

Right now things are filling up for the summer. I can't figure out what to do!!

13. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 9, 2012

Hey Miss Kirby! I've done a lot of traveling (study abroad, on my own, with programs, etc) and now I'm teaching in Costa Rica. I could give you loads and loads of advice, and if you are interested I could PM you my blog about traveling and teaching abroad. I wrote an entry about your exact question, so let me just sum it up.

1. Look into : helpx.net , workaway.info , and WWOOFing

2. Travel by yourself. I'm a female and I traveled solo and you're never alone. Stay in hostels with common areas (kitchens, pool tables, etc) so that you can meet people to hang out with.

3. Never PAY to volunteer. That's BS. There's plenty of programs you don't have to pay $2000 to do.

4. Check out lonelyplanet.com 's forum. Great travel advice

5. For working abroad- check out visa options and just go. When I moved to Costa Rica, I didn't have a job. I applied when I got here and found a great job and am currently applying for residency.

Good luck and happy travels!

14. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 10, 2012

Thanks lucybelle! I'd love to see your blog.