Transitioning to Teaching

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by danithorne, Oct 2, 2017.

1. danithorne

danithorne New Member

Oct 2, 2017

Looking for advice from current middle school math teachers.

The past 5 years I have worked in the IT department of a high school, but my undergrad degree was in math with a minor in education. I'm hoping to transition to become a math teacher in a middle school next year. Any advice for new teachers, career switchers, or moving from high school to middle school? Looking forward to any help I can get!

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Oct 12, 2017

How easy this is to do will depend a lot on where you are. Most states have an alternate route to teaching plan, but there are a lot of differences between how these programs are run and their procedures. For instance, in NJ, you would need to have your transcript evaluated to determine whether you would be eligible to earn a K-12 content certificate, or perhaps a MS content certificate, and this is based on the number of math credits and how NJ counts them. Once the NJDOE lets you know their decision, you would need to pass the Praxis exam in Elem. Ed., the Praxis exam in Middle School Specialization - Math, grades 5-8, or, if your transcript allows it, pass the praxis exam(s) for Math, K-12. That gets you into the AR program, and there are several ways of doing that: Take AR courses through Rutgers CESP, take graduate courses through one of our many universities, etc. Then you get the job, work for two years as a provisional teacher, pass your evaluations, and finally earn your standard certificate. You earn while you learn, and it isn't exactly a cake walk. You will be learning all of the pedagogy classes that you never had, all while teaching full time. It is not for the faint of heart, but it can be wonderful if you are willing to really invest your time in the total process.

Yes, I came through AR, and I am successful, but I really worked hard to excel and grow as a teacher. For some it is a god send, for others a nightmare. Check it out in your state.

futuremathsprof likes this.