Transition to Teaching / Licensing

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ChildWhisperer, Jul 10, 2019.

1. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jul 10, 2019

So... a few years ago, I got my Master's in ElEd, but I didn't know when I started that it was a non-licensure program until I was almost done with it, so I just finished it and worked in private school, Head Start, long term subbed, etc.
    Well, not too long ago, the school I got it from introduced a Transition to Teaching program for those with a Bachelor's and offers just enough classes to lead to licensure (after student teaching & exams), and I've already taken most of the classes offered on it.
    I asked them about it, and they said I'd have to redo all the classes because it's been "too long" (5.5 years) since I took the classes.

So I've got a Master's in Education without a license. I've been lucky so far; I haven't had any trouble finding teaching jobs, but I'm thinking about the future.
    Am I pretty much stuck? Any other ways to get licensed without going through an entire program again?? Thoughts?

3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 10, 2019

What does your state require to issue you a license that you don't have yet? I thought most non-licensure programs didn't have a student teaching component, but otherwise were very similar to the licensure track. I wonder if your practical experience may be able to replace some of the requirements. For instance, in California:

"California Education Code provides two options for private school teachers to obtain Multiple and Single Subject Teaching Credentials. These two options allow private school teachers to use three to five years of appropriate teaching experience in lieu of the student teaching component of a teacher preparation program or six years of appropriate teaching experience in lieu of completing a teacher preparation program including student teaching. Candidates with sufficient private school teaching experience may apply directly to the Commission for the multiple or single subject credential and are not subject to the Teaching Performance Assessment (TPA) requirement."

4. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jul 10, 2019

That would be nice. My state doesn't have anything like that. They require you to go through a licensure program. I don't know why they even offer non-licensure programs for uncertified teachers. It makes no sense

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jul 10, 2019

It’s for teachers who want to get a Masters without having to go through a licensure program. Most teachers probably already have a credential and so a non-licensure program is more geared towards teachers who want to advance further on their respective salary schedule. My Masters in Math, for instance, did not include a licensure component, which was idea for me because I just wanted to do pure math courses and so I enrolled in a teaching credential program that was separate.

Just enroll in a licensure program and get it over with. Otherwise, you will most likely not be able to hired for a certificated position and I doubt that’s what you want. I reside in California and so I did what mathteachertobe suggested to get my credential and eventually clear it.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    whizkid likes this.
  6. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Jul 11, 2019

Keep shopping pathways. I called numerous institutions in my quest to return to the workforce, which is not the same situation, but still pertinent. They varied greatly. For me, I went with a work around directly through the state ed department for licensure. It was the shortest path. It took weeks of research - no, months - to find that path. If only I had a dollar for every time I was told it couldn't be done without starting over....

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 11, 2019

What state are we talking about? I'm not feeling up to weeding through old threads today, sorry.

8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 11, 2019

Perhaps you could apply for a license in another state and then transfer the license over?

It sounds complicated and probably would be but might be a work around to get the license.

whizkid likes this.
  9. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jul 11, 2019

I know, that's why I said "I don't know why they even offer non-licensure programs for uncertified teachers"

IL

Interesting idea. I'll look into it!

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 11, 2019

I am uncertain why you aren't looking into the alternate route to teacher certification. If you haven't looked into it, let me just say that I came to teaching through NJ's AR program, and would do it again in a heart beat. Putting the link that I found the information at. Good luck.
    https://www.isbe.net/Pages/ELAlternativeLicense.aspx

11. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jul 12, 2019

Last time I looked into it, it still required you to go through an entire program with a full load of classes, and I wanted to see if there were any other options available first, because I already have an education degree and didn't want to retake all the classes.

12. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jul 12, 2019

What about doing licensure by interning?

13. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 13, 2019

If nothing else - do schools in your area pay extra if you have a second Masters degree?

My area does not but I know from a recent thread I posted that most districts do.

14. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jul 13, 2019

Never heard of it! I'll look it up

futuremathsprof likes this.