Transfers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Jul 19, 2015.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 19, 2015

Transfers (within the district)

When job postings come up in your districts and teachers want to make a move, what's the process for applying & being awarded the position?

In my district, we post the positions and teachers have 48 hours to apply. No interviews are held--the person with the most seniority automatically gets the job and we (administration) are notified via email regarding who will be filling the position.

If no one applies for a transfer, the position is posted to outside applicants. Then, we go through the interview process.

A person I taught with several years ago is coming to my site this year. She moves from school-to-school every year or two due to conflicts with colleagues and/or administration. She's notorious for stirring the pot. She sent me an email stating she's looking forward to working with me because I "get her."

Deep breaths, peaceful thinking, and meditation are going to be on my daily to-do list this year! I can get along well with anyone, but it's going to take a lot of patience to work with this individual. :eek:hmy:

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 19, 2015

In my last district, open positions were posted both internally and externally. Teachers wishing to transfer had to apply online and then go through an interview process with any other external candidate being interviewed. If the didn't get the job, they could stay at their current school. After transfers were complete, the newly opened positions - those created by transfers - were posted, and the process began again.

4. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 19, 2015

This year was interesting. Because the Superintendent felt that there was too much stress at our school site, she made the choice to transfer the entire staff to different sites. Everybody, including the office staff and custodial staff, are going to be at different schools.

After 16 years at that school, I'm starting over at a new school.

And this is what's "best for the students". There will not be a familiar face at that school next year.

We made local TV news, as this is unprecedented.

5. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2015

In my district, teachers are not allowed to transfer schools mid-year. If you have a position in August; you must keep that position unless you choose to quit/leave the district before the end of the year.

Voluntary transfers for the next year are allowed for tenured teachers beginning in late April. For this, the district posts the vacancies, a job fair is held for tenured teachers only and you are either hired on the spot or within a few days depending on the depth of the school's interview process. Principals can hire/interview whomever they want; seniority means nothing here.

If a principal can't find someone from within the district, they can hire an "outsider" but only if the district can't find a certified tenured teacher to fill that spot.

6. lilia123

lilia123 Companion

Jul 19, 2015

In our district we fill out an intent to transfer form in March with the schools and positions we are interested in pursuing. The principals will usually try to fill a position from the transfer list first but are under no obligation to do so. Most of our external hiring is done in the summer time after most of the transfer list has been picked through.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2015

Before we can apply for any open positions, we must place our name on the "Transfer List", indicating our interest to look outside of our current site. Opening are posted, and interested candidates apply and go through the interview process. The process is closed at one point during the spring so that all teachers who have been declared surplus at their current site are placed in open positions. After a certain date, early June, I believe, all transfers must be approved by both administrators and the superintendent.

8. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 19, 2015

That is crazy that the person with the most seniority just automatically gets the position! That would not go over well here. If someone wants to transfer in my district they have to interview with everyone else- external and internal candidates. There is no time open just for internal candidates. Last year we had a couple of internal candidates apply for a 6th grade opening and my P chose an external candidate instead. The only exception to this happens if a non-probationary teacher's position is cut (due to budgets). If that happens, the non-probationary teacher is guaranteed a position somewhere in the district. The catch is that it can be any position they're qualified for- they don't just get to pick whatever they want and automatically get the position. For example, this year one of our title 1 positions was cut to .5. The teacher was non-probationary, so she was offered another position, but it was a regular classroom position. She didn't want to go back to classroom teaching, so she chose to look elsewhere for a title 1 job instead.

9. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Jul 19, 2015

Here, the transfer period is internal. It opens in March and teachers in the district can apply for a transfer to the schools with posted positions. Principals choose who they interview from there. Teachers don't usually transfer mid year, but we have had teachers leave to take facilitator or coaching positions mid year. The position does not automatically go to the person with the most seniority, but if a new teacher gets the job the P has to justify the hire.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 19, 2015

It used to be that the Ps would get transfer requests and they'd move people but this year some positions required interviews and some didn't. I think it should be a standardized procedure.

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 20, 2015

Ours are exactly the same. Whoever has seniority gets the position. The teachers often come by for an informal interview just to get a feel of the school, but it's not required. In fact, a person who is more senior can actually oust another teacher from their position if they do not yet have tenure, because all probationary/temporary teachers lose their position each year, and have to get rehired to return. Before they get rehired, their positions are required to be put out to possible transferees in the district.

My principal got around that for me by "being a total b****" to the applicants who applied. (Her words, not mine.)

12. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 20, 2015

Teachers who want to transfer must email the principal of the new job. Interviews may or may not be held depending on who all wants the position. If the new principal and current principal agree on the transfer, it gets approved. Honestly, not too many people voluntarily transfer in my district. It is much more common to be involuntarily transferred due to numbers. In that case, the least senior person is supposed to move, but that doesn't always happen.

13. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 20, 2015

In our district, you have to request that your principal put you on the "transfer" list. Then, principals have to interview from that list first, but that are not required by any means to choose people on that list. If no one picks you up, you go back to your old position. Seniority plays no role in it whatsoever.

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2015

I wish you luck for next year.

In this area, transfers are posted internally during and at the end of school year for a certain amount of time. Any present employee can apply and the P chooses who they want to interview. If the P doesn't find an internal candidate that they like, the job postings go external. Around here it isn't even rare for a transfer to occur mid-year, but both P's have to agree on the transfer. As others have stated, the sending P won't want to keep a teacher who doesn't want to be there.

15. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 20, 2015

My district has a two week window in mid-April for voluntary transfers, though there is no requirement for principals to take you. Your transfer can be blocked by if it is determined your current program would be negatively impacted by you leaving. If you've been in your position for three or more years, you can't be blocked.

Before transfers, consolidated teachers have to be placed, so that happens first. Principals can hire external candidates over transfers and ideally they will interview at least 5 candidates. There is no bumping from different sites, but it can happen internally at a site.

Transferring outside of the window happens, and the principal losing staff is supposed to be consulted, but typically it seems to go through, though the Ps complain about it. I think it is very, very rare for someone to transfer mid-year.

16. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 20, 2015

Teachers have to put in a transfer request to personnel. Principals get to interview and choose who they want for the opening. After all transfers are settled, any remaining positions are open to outside applicants.

At first, I didn't realize it was a regular transfer. I thought you were asking about a VP, or TOSA.