Transcript Evaluation in NJ

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by robb, Jun 17, 2015.

1. robb

robb Rookie

Jun 17, 2015

Hello,

I'm wondering if there's any way to self assess your transcripts to determine eligibility for specific certs. I know that NJ does this but we're currently in the off period where they won't accept any for evaluation. I'm looking to get a head start on some praxis exams but am not sure what I would qualify for because I don't know what's accepted for a particular specialization. Is there any way to figure this out on your own? Thanks in advance.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 17, 2015

Are there specific endorsements that you are interested in? I know a lot about this, but I need to know what you are interested in.

4. robb

robb Rookie

Jun 17, 2015

Well I have a liberal arts degree in Communications..So I know that limits me to anything beyond Elementary. I would like to get middle school specializations. I am not looking to get certified in anything specifically at the moment. By that I mean that I am not dead set on teaching one particular subject. I want to see what I am the closest to being certified for and then take my Praxis. Like yourself, I would continue trying to obtain certifications as I move along and have steady employment and time to take some additional classes.

If anything I'd be closest for History or English, but I don't know what the D.O.E. counts toward each. For example, does an American Government course count for history or do they only take into account specific courses that pertain to subject matter that you would be teaching? Do Creative Writing courses and things like that count toward English?

That's the kind of stuff I'd like to know so that I can see if there's anything that my transcripts already make me eligible for. This way I can register for those Praxis tests and not have to wait until after September 1 to submit those to the state and then find out.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 17, 2015

OK, short version goes like this:
    60 credits that are basically your typical first two years, introductory, 100-200 level courses, this will get you the Elem. Ed.K-6, with the Praxis

Once you have the Elem. Ed., you need 15 credits in any of the four specialties for MS specialization that you desire to teach; you can earn them in: ELA, SS, Math, and Science. For MS, you must also have the Elem. Ed. You simply need 15 credits, no order, doesn't need to be upper level courses or in sequence. The only one that is harder to know what courses are accepted is MS SS. It can be geography, history, social sciences, anthropology, economics. 15 credits, and I think one course has to be Amer. History, one has to be World History.
    Praxis exams required.

To earn a K-12 content credential, you need 30 credits, about half upper level courses, logical sequence - basically a major. Of course, a Praxis exam.

These courses must be pure subject matter, no pedagogy, or teacher courses. Generally, if you get to the master's in teaching, the courses are how to teach the subject, which doesn't help with the requirements.

Hope that helps.

If it is apparent that you have the required course work, you should look into the Praxis exams. For what it is worth, if you are short by a couple of credit for the MS credentials, consider the CLEP exams. The state and I disagreed about a course that was clearly English where I took it, as well as at many other universities, but NJ said not here. I was working on my masters and not willing to take undergraduate courses, and I decided to take a CLEP exam, which can post the credit to a NJ CC, which the DOE will accept.

6. robb

robb Rookie

Jun 19, 2015

That's all great information. Thank you so much. I really wish they had somewhere you could look up what is accepted (or just not put a freeze on the alt route for the summer) and what isn't. When you get into SS and ELA there really area so many different types of liberal arts courses that could go either way depending on how they want to interpret it.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 19, 2015

That freeze you are talking about isn't about AR - it is across the board since they are inundated with all of the paper work for all of the new graduates. Actually you can get all of the information I gave you on the NJ DOE website under credentials. The only part that is different is the courses that I know about in SS. ELA courses are the straight forward ones. They will accept Speech, but not any film courses, even the ones where you are writing and analyzing. Look in your school's course listings, and then a couple of other schools, and if the course is firmly planted in English, then it will probably be accepted. If not, a CLEP exam in Analyzing Literature will earn you 6 undergrad credits, so hard to believe that wouldn't make up the difference, should there be one.

I am assuming you are talking about MS endorsements, so you should consider spending some quality time studying for the Elem. Ed. Praxis II exams, since you will need that to teach MS.

If you are talking about trying to teach at the HS level, that will be a major, with a logical sequence of progression, so fairly easy to ascertain. Most people with their majors have at least 30 credits for their majors on their transcript.

There is no subject matter separation in the K-6 Elem. Ed. license.

Government and PoliSci are history, creative writing is English. If you are wanting to acquire K-12 content credentials, as opposed to middle school, you are probably going to have to wait, because there is less wiggle room due to the requirement for upper level courses that make sense in the progression of the major.

8. robb

robb Rookie

Jun 20, 2015

Thanks that's a great idea comparing it with other schools. I'm not looking to get into 9-12 at this point so I should be good transcript wise for K-8 based on the information.

Does the Praxis II cover both elementary and middle or are you required to pass both I and II?

9. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 20, 2015

To get the middle school cert, you are required to pass the middle school praxis in your content area in addition to the elementary praxis.

10. Merc

Merc Rookie

Jun 25, 2015

If you get a content cert, you don't need to take the elementary praxis to teach your content in middle school. I was certified K-12 Social Studies (Social Studies Praxis II) and secured a middle school position without taking the elem praxis. I would recommend getting the 30 credits and passing a content praxis II test. If I remember correctly, that is required in order to be listed as "highly qualified" in your content area.