Training question: I'm afraid to tell them I wasn't trained properly

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Kenz501, Feb 7, 2018.

1. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 11, 2018

I did write a post, but deleted it because I thought it would be very insulting to you. It described the different types of text books, such as student edition, teacher edition, supplemental, etc. The truth is people probably get frustrated by you asking the same questions because they couldn't imagine anyone getting to where you are without knowing these things because they are some of the most basic things or that if you took the time to look at all of your resources carefully you would notice the difference between them by the titles and the pages within the texts.

Most people who are asking the questions you are asking are looking for general guidance. They just need to know where to find the resources such as using website abc for extensions for reading comprehension.

It is frustrating for co-workers to have to keep answering questions and even more unsettling that someone with a master's wouldn't know there are different types of textbooks.

You say everyone does this to you. Well, if everyone is reacting the same way to you, I suggest it isn't them to blame. Seems you aren't able to explain to them the level of information you need and how to break it down, but you explained it here. Why aren't you saying this to them? If your disability is interfering that much in your job that you can't get your questions answered you either need to figure out how to better address this issue or you need to explain to others what is going on with you even though it could be kept private. That is your decision though because you are not required to tell your co-workers about your disability.

I know people with Asperger's syndrome and what is obvious and easy to most is difficult for them and what is complex for others is easy for them. Sadly, unless people know this about them, it can be frustrating and confounding because it becomes frustrating to communicate with them because of the deficits. Once you know, it becomes much easier because you can't assume basic knowledge. Then the problem becomes when they get insulted if you provide basic knowledge they have mastered that now seems obvious to them.

Seems to me, if you really want your questions answered, you need an ally who understands your disability.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  2. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 11, 2018

So basically, you have spent all of this time acquiring bad habits. With all of these years in a classroom, using "canned curriculum" (other people's instructions, lesson plans, etc.), you have failed to learn to distinguish the books needed, learn the terminology, notice any similarities in how concepts and curriculum is laid out or the similarities in presentations. This doesn't improve how I see your future prospects.

I know you have texts from college, access to a library or book store, a history of seeing how a year's curriculum is unpacked and utilized, so this is more about you not wanting to do any hard work on your own. I know that I have suggested securing the services of an individual who could help you organize your life and break things down into small steps that would work "for you." I also said that these people make a living helping people who can't do this for themselves, meaning you would need to pay them for "training" you, although I would call it helping you learn requisite steps that would allow yourself and your students to be successful. Nowhere have I seen mention that you are seeking such a professional, probably a behaviorist, because you realize that you are drowning. Instead, you persist with the same question, lament, and actions - post, answer, ignore recommendations, ask us to have pity on you. End thread, start new thread, repeat some actions and laments, often having so many threads going at once that you couldn't possibly have time to follow any of the suggestions given.

Canned curriculum hasn't done you any favors in the past, so what makes you think it is the "answer" to your current dilemma? You can lead a horse to water, but not make them drink. For years you have been in education in a teacher capacity and for years you failed to learn concepts, terminology, etc. Wake up and smell the coffee - you have failed to learn despite a very long "training" period.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 11, 2018

I guess I should assume that you haven’t done lesson plans for tomorrow.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 11, 2018

I offered help and you refused it.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2018

Are we finished here yet?

6. pommom

pommom Comrade

Feb 11, 2018

Kenz, it wont let me private message you. I would like to send you a private message. I had a horrible first year teaching English, and I can relate in some way. If you don't mind, you can send me your personal email on here and then delete it soon.

7. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 11, 2018

Thank you for the offer. It's weird that the system won't let you send me a private message. Let me try sending you one.

Didn't see an option to do so. I did post my email address briefly, but I don't want to keep it up. Let me know when you are online.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  8. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 11, 2018

Well,

I do feel like I'm doing better. At first, I wasn't sure which textbook to use, or even if we were supposed to use a particular textbook. Now that I understand that the textbook is supposed to be my go-to resource, though, and that it is, in effect, the pacing guide or a very important support for it, I'm clearer on what I'm doing, not crystal clear, but I think I stand a chance at creating lessons that are much easier to understand.

Yes, I maintain that this whole fiasco could have been avoided had someone just told me the day I was hired, "we don't use detailed online pacing guides here, but the textbook for the writing class is aligned to all of the standards you need to teach; we use that to plan our lessons. The other resources we gave you should be used as supplementary resources." How difficult would that have been? Instead, I was directed to Teachers Pay Teachers, given a small stack of informational resources, and informed about how to find a list of objectives on the website. I incorrectly guessed that my main textbook was just a grammar resource, so I didn't use it for much of my lesson planning for months!

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2018

[​IMG]

10. pommom

pommom Comrade

Feb 11, 2018

I am online now.

11. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 11, 2018

I...don't think I did?

12. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 11, 2018

Taking down in a minute or so. Post if you got it.

13. pommom

pommom Comrade

Feb 11, 2018

okay

14. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 11, 2018

Yes, it's "mail" not "gmail."

15. Been There

Been There Habitué

Feb 11, 2018

So, now that you have reviewed your childhood, described your predicament and received numerous suggestions from us, where does that leave you? Based on the information you've provided, I've reached the following conclusions:

Professional Preparation

You have not received the proper preparation needed to become a full-fledged teacher. Your online classes seem to have been a total waste of time either due to: 1) their inferior quality or 2) your inability to apply the content of the classes to a real classroom setting.

Personal Commitment

You claim to be receptive to advice and support from others, but provide no evidence that you are truly committed to improving your predicament that has evolved into a chronic condition. Taking "a few small steps" to correct deeply rooted habits have proven to be ineffective. Side-stepping to give yourself credit for starting your career in a tough environment points to one of the major issues which is your preference to remain non-committed to resolving your problem.

There has been some discussion of possible ASD involvement related to your case. Although I am not a psychiatrist, this caused me to wonder about several possible contributing factors. Are you aware that you have any difficulty picking up on social cues (both verbal and non-verbal)? Teaching is difficult enough without the burden of being unable to detect communicative signs via facial expressions, body language, verbal nuance, humor, etc. - areas that often challenge individuals with ASD. If this applies to you, it may help explain the difficulty that you've been encountering over the years in your attempt to become a teacher.

Unlike TrademarkTer, you strike me as still being the student and have a ways to go before you can call yourself a teacher.

16. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 11, 2018

Yeah, hindsight is 20-20. School isn't really the most supportive environment you can work in. I thought otherwise from the student's side of the desk, and I think that's why I decided to pursue it as a profession, possibly to my detriment. I stayed unemployed for around four years, and was only employed part-time the other three. That's almost eight years of my life I sort of "wasted" going to college for a profession that I perhaps was never cut out for.

It seems that the lesson I learned in elementary school, that anyone could be anything as long as they studied and worked hard, isn't necessarily true in my case. I want to be a great teacher; I'm only a mediocre one. I had contempt for mediocre teachers when I was a child, but now I have a little more sympathy. It is a difficult job that perhaps does not suit all personality types; I see firsthand.

Still, though, even though my successes have been few and far between, I've still had them, and those little successes make me feel like maybe it's still worth it. Sure, I'm failing now, but maybe that won't always be true.

17. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 11, 2018

I realize that the last four words of the quote almost certainly include a typo, but maybe not! After countless months, threads, and posts, OP has, in 10 hours, figured out her life, how to be a teacher, remembered her unlearned terminology, and acting as if pacing guides and lesson planning are NOT a foreign language that isn't understood. Is it possible that OP "ate" a professional (teacher) and assimilated all of that knowledge in 10 hours?? Science teachers are always fascinated when there is a remarkable result that doesn't seem to be the result of available facts. Maybe we should do a head-count and see if any professionals are missing. :eek: Just in fun, TrademarkTer - miraculous breakthroughs happen so infrequently, that they are always worth noting! :cool:

Kenz501 likes this.
  18. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 11, 2018

LOL

That talk I had with the elementary school teacher HOPEFULLY did a lot of good. At least I don't feel totally lost now.

19. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 11, 2018

Relapse Alert!

20. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 11, 2018

Let me start talking positive instead of dwelling on all of the negative, or better yet, let me get off of here and finish planning out the next six weeks!