Top elementary maths questions around the world - US/UK/JP/HK/CN

Discussion in 'General Education' started by stask81, Aug 8, 2017.

1. stask81

stask81 Rookie

Aug 8, 2017

https://mathsloth.com/blog/2017/08/worldtop10elementarymathsqns.html

It is not clear whether the questions are meant for specially gifted children or regular kids, but the test questions from Asian countries tend to focus on interpreting patterns for young kids, rather than requiring them to solve head-on using math techniques that would/should be taught in later years.

Personally, I find question 9 interestingly conceived; it is supposedly meant for preschool children trying to get admitted into the 1st grade of a Hong Kong's elementary school (!?). A quick search on the Internet reveals the answer, and it doesn't feel good on the intellectual ego to know. :confounded::confounded:

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 8, 2017

None of them are good for my ego.

4. stask81

stask81 Rookie

Aug 9, 2017

That makes two of us. :confounded:

5. Teacherhere

Teacherhere Companion

Aug 9, 2017

Asian countries are promoting algebraic reasoning in their questions. It clearly explains why we are getting absolutely killed in engineering and computer science.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 9, 2017

Yes. I love using open ended problems and patterns. One reason why I liked Calendar Math even in 5th.

7. stask81

stask81 Rookie

Aug 9, 2017

Absolutely, and with loads of drilling/practices every day. Quite a few of the questions listed ( questions 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ) in the link are, what i feel, "gifted" level maths for preschool and early elementary kids. So, i wonder if the Asian preschools/elementary schools are intentionally challenging the raw kids during the tests to sieve out the "diamonds", or they are already teaching pre-formula open-ended maths thinking, such that these questions are incremental versions of what the students are normally taught.