Toothbrushing routine

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by puff5655, Jan 12, 2011.

1. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Jan 12, 2011

How does yours go? How do you store their brushes/paste, and how do you label the brushes?

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 12, 2011

Our Migrant Head Start kids had to brush after breakfast and lunch. Most teachers used one large tube of toothpaste and put a little bit on the bottom of a paper cup. Each child would use his/her toothbrush to "scoop" it off of the cup - and use the cup to rinse.

We had large toothbrush holders with a name-labeled hole for each toothbrush. Then the holders were placed inside of a large net for air-drying. We had to sanitize those thing regularly.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 12, 2011

Mine was exactly like GlendaLL's, down to the net covering. I always found toothbrusing to be messy and chaotic.

5. lilkidteach

lilkidteach Rookie

Jan 12, 2011

I also work for Head Start and we brush teeth 3 times a day. We use a holder like this:

http://www.kaplanco.com/store/trans/productDetailForm.asp?CatID=9|SC1030|0&PID=48068

It has a wall mount/cover but I can't find a picture of it. I print names on my label maker and tape them to the tooth brushes with clear packing tape. Some teachers just write names on masking tape and tape them to the brushes. We also put a little bit of toothpaste in a cup and they put it on their brush themselves.

Our routine is to put all the toothbrushes out on a paper towel. The kids get their toothbrush and cup, brush their teeth and then but their brush back into the holder. That helps us keep track of who has brushed and who as not.

6. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Jan 14, 2011

Head Start here! We label each toothbrush, kids get a new one every month, unless they have been sick, then they get a new one immediately.

We use the individual cup method too and we use an acrylic toothbrush holder and cover where each child has an individual spot to store their toothbrush. I hate that thing!