Too young for 5th graders?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by MissMcCollum, Jun 27, 2007.

1. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jun 27, 2007

I had an idea to engage my 5th graders in an academic-type activity for the first week or so of school, and allow me the opportunity to assess their writing. (My state has writing tests in 5th grade....January!...and I need to teach it from the start so that they are strong there.)

Anyway, I'm not sure if my kids will think this is too young for them, and I'd hate to turn them off to school, and me, at the beginning of the year. Here's my thought: I'd like to make a 5th Grade ABC book. As a class, we can brainstorm ideas for each of the letters, and then I'll assign a letter to each kid (we'll double up if we have to...I'll be looking at upwards of 30 kids....or maybe we'll include numbers, or punctuation....hmmm...) Each student will take the word for their letter and write a few sentences (depending on ability level) about how it applies to 5th grade. We can then review it later in the year, to see how much they have improved, and refer to it for whatever reason. I'd also give kids the opportunity to illustrate their page, thereby giving them some ownership and allowing them to have some fun with it.

What do you think? Is this going to be too babyish for them, or do you think they might enjoy it?

:) :thanks:

3. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 27, 2007

ABC book

Not at all!!!! I have taught both 4th and 5th grade, and have made ABC books with them. Each class loved it!!! I would have them illustrate their page for sure. Even the non-artists will do this... I love the idea of punctuation in the ABC book as well.
    My fourth graders one year made a pioneer ABC book. They were so impressed with themselves, we invited the kindergarten class in to listen to the book. Each student read his/her page.
    A great resource for this type of project are the ABC books that are printed for each state. (I am not sure where you are from). Ohio's book is called B is for Buckeye. The older kids LOVE this book.
    Hope this was helpful!
    Laura

4. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jun 27, 2007

That's a great idea! I'm glad that I wasn't thinking too young for them, because I think it will be a fun and meaningful experience for them. I think Nevada's is "S is for Silver"....but it would be a ton of fun to explore several different ABC books, and then read our own books with kindergarteners. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 27, 2007

I did an ABC's of me book in October last year. It was a night mare and I'll never do it again in the fall.

6. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jun 27, 2007

Oh, what a good idea! When I interned in a 5th grade class, the kids made an ABC Book for me for my last day....I forgot all about it until I read your post. Now that I'm going to be teaching 5th grade, that sounds like a fun way to start the year! What kind of topic were you thinking of using? Summer activities, or something more school-related?

7. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jun 27, 2007

Really? What went wrong?

8. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jun 27, 2007

I was thinking about doing one along the lines of 5th grade expectations, or concerns. I wanted them to start the year on a good note, and I thought that having them focus on what they anticipate about the coming year would be a good way to go about that. What do you think?

9. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 28, 2007

What might be really cute is to introduce many of the topics you will teach in 5th grade. Then, have them research and illustrate the topic for the letter. At the end of the year, you can go back and revisit the book and perhaps create a new one on basically the same topic for you to use at the beginning of the next year. Just a thought. Also, a book on the school...rules, tips etc. would be great to share with the kindergarteners. The 5th graders will love to share the knowledge they have learned about the school they have attended for 5 years....
    Please let me know how this goes!! I am beginning to think I want to do this very project with my kids this year!

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 28, 2007

Have you had the problem of the kids simply not coming up with something for a letter? Particularly if you are using a theme?

11. jnation

jnation Companion

Jun 28, 2007

I did ABC books with my 5th graders last year. We made a Thanksgiving Limerick book where each student to think of a type of food served at Thanksgiving and write a goofy poem about it. We also did an alliteration book for winter and an ocean animals one for our unit on the sea. They really enjoyed it each time. Instead of drawing pictures, I had them find pictures on the computer. This taught them some computer skills as well as gave them a break from having to write everything.

12. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jun 28, 2007

When I worked on one with a class, we braninstormed as many ideas as we could for a topic on the board as a class. We didn't think about the letters, just ideas. Then we went through to see what letters we were missing. For odd letters, like Z or X, the letter could be in the middle of the word or in a word that's part of the sentence.

13. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Jun 28, 2007

It is totally not too young for them. My 5th graders did an ABC book each for their state reports.

I might suggest that you do it on memories of 4th grade as that might be easier than things they haven't done yet. Or, a "What Will it Be Like" book now and then a "What Was it Like" book at the end with the same items for the letters but writing about it after it is done.

14. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jun 28, 2007

I had my fourth graders each make their own ABC book for a book report towards the end of the year. They enjoyed doing it, and they turned out really well, but they did take a long time for each student to do their own book. I think in the future I might do it for some sort of literature circle activity. Have each group read a book together and then work together to create an ABC book. That way, each student would be responsible for maybe 4 or 5 pages.

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jun 28, 2007

Not too young at all! I used ABC books one year for a social studies project. Each kid did two letters, I think, while a few did one. I had 14 in my class that year...

16. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jun 28, 2007

I am starting to get really excited about this! Now I guess I'll have to determine what, specifically, the ABC book should be based on. :) Thanks so much for all of your input! Keep the awesome ideas coming! :)

17. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jun 28, 2007

Thank YOU for posting this idea! I might be doing one of these with my students to start the year too!