Too old to teach?

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by blakestake, Aug 26, 2016.

1. blakestake

blakestake New Member

Aug 26, 2016

I'm not a teacher yet. I'm in school (second semester, freshman year) studying elementary education. I'm 31 years old. I'm suddenly sick with anxiety that I won't be able to find a job. I'm worried that being 35-36 years old when I graduate is going to really hinder me. Any thoughts? Opinions? Advice? Any of you get such a late start?

3. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 26, 2016

:toofunny:35 is not old! My teammate was in her 50s when we hired her. It was her 2nd year teaching.

yellowdaisies, ms.irene and bella84 like this.
  4. heatherberm

heatherberm Comrade

Aug 27, 2016

I got hired as a new teacher at 37.

5. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Aug 27, 2016

I think as long as you have the passion, enthusiasm, experience, and willingness to learn... For example: be a 30 year old who KNOWS technology and how to integrate it into a classroom. And know current "best practices" in education so if you're asked about x,y,z you can respond. If you're older, but close minded and rigid "This is how I do it and WON'T change," yeah then they prob won't want to hire you.
    Good luck.
    :)

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Aug 27, 2016

I think that you will be at an age that many schools find desirable. Old enough for many students to perceive you as a parental age, so quit worrying about age and just get back to your studies. Anxiety can hit at any age - you have to know when it is a true warning of impending doom versus a false signal set to derail good plans. If you don't stay in school, you will still get to 37 (God willing), and you won't have the education. Then what? You are trying to better your life and long term prospects. I believe that you can never have too much education, and that preparing yourself for a new profession is a great idea at virtually any age. Keep in mind that many Americans are being asked to work till 65, and many are working beyond. That would put you in the category of having enough years in to earn a decent pension, and long term, that should look pretty good.

If you can take summer semesters, maybe getting basic requirements out of the way, you might be able to knock a year off of you quest, but many people feel they need the break. Something to think about, though. Back to the books! Good luck.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 27, 2016

The last time I changed schools after moving to a different part of the state I was 59. No problem at all getting a job.
    Some posters here feel that ageism is rampant...I just don't happen to agree.

8. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Aug 27, 2016

Seriously... The only people who think 35 is old are people under the age of 30. Stop worrying.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2016

I was 41 when I got my first contract position.

10. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 27, 2016

Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a job where age plays less a role in getting a job than in teaching. IMO, you are worrying about absolutely NOTHING. I do not think your age will make finding a job harder AT ALL.

FYI, I started teaching at 32.

11. Jerry Dill

Jerry Dill Companion

Feb 13, 2017

This seems like a humblebrag. At what point did 35 become old? Isn't 40 the new 30? So 35 is the new 25. Humblebrag.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Feb 13, 2017

I don't foresee your age being a problem. Go for it!

13. harmony5

harmony5 New Member

Jun 15, 2017

Very happy to read this. I'm 42 and applying for a teaching position. It is in the back of my mind but I know I need to do this. I've waited and put it off for too long.

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Jun 15, 2017

Harmony5, I subbed a lot of years, thinking I would go AR and teach, but life often has twists and turns. I ended up being a caregiver for my FIL with Alzheimer's until his death, and then helping my husband redesign his business. I turned around and I was in my 50's with the burning desire and need to dust off those old plans and look for a job. My son was almost finished with college, and I felt that perhaps time was going to be the one thing I couldn't change or overcome.

I did go AR, finished my training, enrolled in college for my second master's, all while working full time as a science teacher. I also acquired my TOSD certificate and have been at my current job about five years, and our contracts were handed out today for next year. I think that everything that I did before getting into teaching has helped shape me into the strong, yet flexible, person that I am today. I have the life experience to see big pictures take time to develop, and I am not easily daunted by changes and setbacks. Even at my age, the last time I was considering changing jobs, doors opened and offers were made. I see glimmers of ageism, but it isn't rampant.

Don't be discouraged if the path is bumpy or rough, and stay the course if teaching is calling to you. Once you have a job, always look for ways to learn more and grow your knowledge base. My second masters was sweeter, and the TOSD certificate is icing on the cake. Throw yourself into your new profession, and may you find enough success to keep you as happy and busy as you hope to be. Best of luck.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Jun 15, 2017

My mom started teaching when she was 41. She just retired this year.

16. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 15, 2017

I started my credential program at 50, landed my first contracted position at 52, tenured at 54. I'm very happy I took this path. I don't think ageism is rampant, but I do think an older beginning teacher needs to figure out a way to address specific concerns that a lot of hiring committees will have about them as a candidate. I won't hijack this thread by discussing them here, because they are not at all relevant to someone in their mid-30s.

17. Angelhair

Angelhair Rookie

Jun 29, 2017

I just start my teaching at 42 even though everyone thought I was only 29. :)

18. a2z

a2z Phenom

Jun 30, 2017

I thought you were going to say you were in you 60s.

There are a lot of career swithers in my area. It isn't uncommon to have a mid 30 or 40 teacher.