Too high for reading groups?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by puff5655, Nov 14, 2017 at 1:52 PM.

1. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Nov 14, 2017 at 1:52 PM

I have 3 kids in first grade who read at a 3rd grade level. I feel like they'd benefit more from independent reading and talking about books, than they do in my reading groups.

Any suggestions on a better structure for them?

We have lots of great books and they love to read- I was thinking of finding some sort of form so after they read a book, they can write down any challenges they had, maybe a review, or a favorite part. Something they could share with me when I check in with them.

3. allaphoristic

allaphoristic Rookie

Nov 14, 2017 at 5:13 PM

If time isn't a factor and you can pull them for small group, I would guide them in literature circles.

Backroads likes this.
  4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Nov 14, 2017 at 6:24 PM

I agree. I would make them their own literature discussion group.

5. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Nov 14, 2017 at 6:44 PM

Thanks guys! I don't know much about those but I will talk to some other teachers and see if I can learn more.

6. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Nov 14, 2017 at 7:28 PM

If you're working on comprehension skills, those students could still use many of the skills you're working on, but just challenged to a higher level.

If this is during time where you're working with other students on decoding/skills necessary to read the words on the page though, I agree with those above. They should be focused on finding books they love to read that will challenge them (i.e. let them read books without prescribing a level, but guide them towards choices that will still allow them to grow), and then provide them with some guiding questions as they read. Perhaps, if you meet with groups, have them as one group, and rotate them in enough to check in about their reading to ask them those questions, and guide them towards what they might talk about on other days.

Keep in mind that they're still 1st graders, so you'll want to heavily guide that process. They won't be able to be as independent as if I were to do the same with my fourth graders!

7. Kayla H

Kayla H New Member

Nov 15, 2017 at 2:56 PM

When I was teaching first grade, for my higher guided reading groups, I would have them complete research projects. Especially with response to nonfiction texts is a big focus on PARC, this allows them to spend their time appropriately while I worked with my other groups. I would still meet with them and discuss how their research was going and what challenges they were running into. When they were all done, I would have them present to the rest of the class!