Tomorrow is my first day as a third grade teacher!

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by shelltappintoes, Aug 27, 2006.

1. shelltappintoes

shelltappintoes New Member

Aug 27, 2006

Well, it's Sunday night.... only 12 hours until I'll be greeted by 20 smiling (hopefully) faces! I'm a 1st year teacher in 3rd grade ... any last minute advice or encouragement?? :eek:

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 27, 2006

Get a good nights sleep, and be ready in the morning. Do you have a first day script prepared? Just curious

4. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 27, 2006

Have a great day and enjoy your students!

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 27, 2006

Have a great day!! My first day as a 3rd grade teacher will be Thursday. :eek:
    Try to get some sleep tonight even though I'm sure it'll be tough.

6. shelltappintoes

shelltappintoes New Member

Aug 27, 2006

I have about 2 pages written down filled with every possible procedure I can think of. The kids have a ton of paperwork to take home and I have "take home" folders already on their desks that are labeled "return to school" and "keep at home". Getting all those emergency forms out in the morning will take some time. Then I'm going to stress procedures and expectations with some "getting to know you" activities intermixed. I have a "Word Study" lesson and a "Math Investigation" lesson ready if we need it for tomorrow.

7. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Aug 27, 2006

Congrats on your 1st day. This is my best tip. BEFORE THEIR PARENTS CAN LEAVE - - ASK HOW THEY ARE GETTING HOME! Write it down and make sure they all get home. If they don't know, have them find out right away. If you do this, you had a great 1st day. Don't worry about anything else.

8. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 27, 2006

You will love third grade.

9. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 27, 2006

I start in 10 days, I am right with you! :) Some basic advice that we sometimes forget: Have Fun! The kids will catch on to your joy of teaching, and learning will be a blast! :D Congratulations on your job.

10. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Aug 27, 2006

Have fun, good luck, and congrats on beginning your career!!

11. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Aug 28, 2006

By now you are probably sleeping away (yeah right with those first day jitters). It is 9:00 pm PST so I don't know what that makes it in Ohio...later. Anyway, just rmember to have fun and the kids are nervous too. Although it's probably too late for you now but I'll let you know anyway. There is a great book called "First Day Jitters" about a girl who is nervous about going to her new school. Throughout the whole book, the "Dad" is trying to get her to get ready for school, driving her there, and talking to her about her first day. It turns out to be the teacher who has moved to a new school. This could be a good first book to read and discuss how everyone feels on the first day of school, not just the kids. Good luck to you. I'm sure you'll do just fine. They hired you for a reason.