Today's annoyance

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Obadiah

Obadiah Habitué

Mar 13, 2017

Perhaps enough teachers could put together enough to cover the book, and the student could do some odd jobs at the school to work it off.

2. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2017

What a neat program. Again, I get no excuses/holding kids responsible, but so often it's the case where they just need a clean slate. A fund to help with old fees is a great idea.

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

Mar 13, 2017

Our students' slates are wiped clean at the end of the year. I cannot imagine the situation your student is in - he is lucky to have a teacher like you to help him and support him.

4. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Mar 14, 2017

Thank you for making sure he can check out books from you. I, too, absolutely believe families can have a hard time coming up with $20. Maybe by graduation he'll be old enough to work part-time and pay the fine and get some other things he probably needs.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Mar 14, 2017

How many years has it been since the kid lost the book? The librarian couldn't set up a payment plan, $1 a month? Donor's choose project? Anything?

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2017

Caesar...YOU are doing the right thing. And that makes a huge difference.

bella84, otterpop, Caesar753 and 2 others like this.
  7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Mar 14, 2017

Maybe take it to the board of education. The kid is trying to right things. The librarian from hell is just being a witch.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2017

Honestly I've contacted dozens of librarians about similar issues and every single one of them has been willing to work with the student. Some have deleted the fine outright, no questions asked. Some have asked that the student volunteer at my school (to make it more convenient for the student) and they'll call it square, some have asked for a dollar or two and they'll waive the rest. I've honestly never encountered a librarian who was completely unwilling to compromise. I certainly agree that the goal is to promoting a sense of responsibility and personal accountability, but I think that we can do better than to actively prevent a kid from rising up when he's trying to, you know? Either way, it is that librarian's call to make, and if that's the hill she wants to die on, so be it. I told her that it was very unlikely that she would receive either the book or the money from the kid, and she just doubled-down and repeated that she would accept only the identical title with the identical binding.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2017

Oh that would never happen here, lol. There are hundreds of books overdue at the end of each year at many schools in the district, especially at schools like mine with high rates of student transiency. Replacement costs for the books I currently have overdue and lost (1,465) are approaching $30,000. I totally get why librarians want to recover their books. I just don't feel that it's worth it to take this position at the cost of never allowing a kid to check out a book for the duration of his academic career.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2017

She has a right to hold the student and his family accountable for lost library materials. It's district policy that the student's family is responsible for the materials or their replacement costs. She's not wrong by the letter of the law, but I think that she is not following the spirit of it. Besides that, I feel like this isn't something that I would get my nose into to that extent. I've helped to the degree that I can and will. If the student wants to bring it before the board, he certainly can. He won't win, though.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2017

Again, that's really beyond what I'm willing to do. If I took up a collection for every lost book, that's literally all I would be doing ever and beneficent donors would stop feeling so generous by the time I asked for money to cover the 1,465th book. If the student wants to take up a collection on his own and offer up his time to volunteer around the school, he is certainly free to do that on his own.

Obadiah likes this.
  12. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

Mar 14, 2017

I completely agree with holding students accountable, and we encourage that, too. Most families do replace lost or damaged books. But the ones that can't, simply won't, and that is tough for the students. So they start fresh each year at my school, but we are K-6. Not sure what they do at the high school level, but they definitely don't withhold transcripts or anything. They always told us we wouldn't get our report cards... not sure if that was actually true... and it didn't affect us actually being assigned the mark .

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Fanatic

Mar 14, 2017

Our fees follow kids from school to school. Students must be cleared from the debt list before attending Homecoming, Prom, or graduation. If they are in a student organization they can be removed or kept from trying out again if they owe that organization money.

Caesar753 likes this.
  14. anon55

anon55 Comrade

Mar 14, 2017

dumb q but I thought you were a teacher, not a librarian?

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 15, 2017

She made the leap from Latin to Library this year. :)

Caesar753 likes this.
  16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2017

I am a teacher-librarian.

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2017

Last year. =)

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 15, 2017

Oh yeah! Migod, the time has flown.

19. mitchfairchild

mitchfairchild New Member

Mar 16, 2017

It frustrates me when teachers, administrators, LIBRARIANS, don't take into account the whole child. Life at home, emotional status, economic status, etc. Don't get me wrong, students need to be held accountable, but we need to identify where the student is coming from before we "drop the hammer." I'd take the issue to your administrator (one you know is on the side of the students) and ask for help. Man...I really dislike this situation. At the end of the day, you might have to buy the replacement for them. We're teachers, so we make tons of money <insert sarcastic grin>. I'm sorry you are having to go through this with your student.

20. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 19, 2017

If it was me in this situation, I'd buy the book with my own money if necessary. When it came in I'd put it in the school mail with a note saying this was the replacement book for Jonny B Good and I hope to see the flag removed asap. If I couldn't find the book to order, I'd send her the cash to replace it herself. Geez.