Today's annoyance

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2017

I don't like it when teachers don't give students a chance to do the right thing.

One of my students lost a library book several years ago when he was in elementary school. It is now a couple of years later and his family is unable to pay the replacement cost. The student has not been allowed to check out library books this whole time because of this flag on his account. The student brought me a different book in excellent condition and asked if the other school library might accept the book as a trade to clear out the fine on his account so that he can begin checking out books again. In my district this is extremely common practice, especially since the librarians don't actually get any of the money that students pay in fines or for replacement books--having a book on the shelf is better than nothing. I'd say that easily 99% of librarians would have accepted this book in trade in this situation. Of course this poor kid gets the one librarian in the district who won't. She will only accept an identical book in perfect condition. Sigh. So now I have to call this kid down and explain the situation to him. I am frustrated. I feel like he is trying to make things right for a relatively minor mistake he made years ago and this person isn't letting him do that.

bella84, carolinafan, czacza and 4 others like this.
  3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 13, 2017

Yikes. Is there any way you could remove the flag without anyone noticing?

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2017

No. In our system there's no way to edit something that was done at another school.

What I'm going to do is enter another flag that says he can check out books at my school. It's not really on the up and up, but it is my library and I get to make decisions about what happens here, just like she can decide what happens in hers. I don't think he should continue to be penalized for something that he's not being allowed to fix. It's not his fault that his parents are broke. While it is probably his fault that he lost the book, that was a few years ago and he is trying to come up with a solution. I can respect that.

Pashtun, bella84, otterpop and 7 others like this.
  5. miss-m

miss-m Cohort

Mar 13, 2017

That's so crazy that he's still essentially being punished for something that happened so long ago, especially if it wasn't even at the current school. I hope the new flag works so he can get reading!

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 13, 2017

I respect and admire your workaround.

MrsC and a2z like this.
  7. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Mar 13, 2017

I'm sorry he's going through this. He needs to be aware that in some districts (including mine) owing this fine will keep him from graduating or getting his transcripts.

a2z likes this.
  8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2017

It's the same in my district. That's why he's trying to take care of the problem the best that he can. Students at my school are among the poorest in the entire state. I absolutely believe that it is a hardship for his family to come up with the twenty bucks that he owes. He'll have to sort that out somehow; it's just too bad that the other library isn't willing to work with him. At least in the meantime I can allow him to check out books from me so that he can at least become more literate while he's in school.

GemStone likes this.
  9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Mar 13, 2017

Why not just buy the book for him and then take his as a trade so he can turn it in and clear the debt?
    Also, some teachers are just annoying. They want to jump to conclusions and interfere where they're not needed. I hate when I'm dealing with a situation between two students and another adult (a busy body) wants to step in in an attempt to show her dominance and control it. It doesn't help. If it doesn't concern you, walk away. There have been many times where students have attempted to solve their own problems and teachers jump the gun and make things worse. Too many adults really need a reality check and just need to calm the eff down!
    :mad:

Upsadaisy and Backroads like this.
  10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2017

I don't have a cash budget. Besides, I don't even think that the book is still in print. Amazon has it only available from third-party sellers for $30-plus. The book that the kid offered up is actually newer than the one he lost.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  11. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Mar 13, 2017

What's the book?

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2017

Animal Planet Most Extreme Predators, in library binding only.

13. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Mar 13, 2017

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2017

15. CherryOak

CherryOak Rookie

Mar 13, 2017

She's made it this far without that exact book. Geez.

SpecialPreskoo and Leaborb192 like this.
  16. Backroads

Backroads Connoisseur

Mar 13, 2017

Sounds like the stereotypical librarian from hell. Sure, I get holding kids accountable and not letting excuses get in the way and all that jazz, but wow, it's a $20 book from a few years ago. Sometimes it's just best practice to recognize the kid's sincere ammends and let things go.

I applaud you for your work on your end.

Obadiah and Leaborb192 like this.
  17. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Mar 13, 2017

Especially since he TRIED to replace the book with a trade!

Obadiah and Backroads like this.
  18. Backroads

Backroads Connoisseur

Mar 13, 2017

Right? It's an out-of-print book. Take the new book and move on already.

Heck, I'd also accept giving the kid a stern finger-wagging with a "let this be a lesson to you", but unless he's losing library books willy-nilly, let him check out a book.

Upsadaisy and Caesar753 like this.
  19. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Mar 13, 2017

Also celebrate the fact that a kid in 2017 WANTS to read!
    :rofl:
    We didn't have an actual librarian, just an aide whose job was ONLY to check out books so I had to bring them and stay with them. The library was just a place to check out books and read. Anyway I had kids who couldn't check out books, and didn't have anything to do while the other kids read. So my kids would check out 2 books and let their friends borrow books to read during the 30 minutes. We WANT kids to read and yet we send them mixed messages about it.
    :(

20. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 13, 2017

We have so many students who come to us with fees from other schools. Our school is about 96% economically disadvantaged. I've helped set up a fund for donors to help cover things like fees from other schools as well as for things like ACTs / SATs.

21. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2017

This is an excellent idea. I hope your students and their families appreciate what you're doing for them.

otterpop likes this.