To pretest or not to pretest???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mrs100, Aug 27, 2011.

1. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 27, 2011

My grade level is piloting a different spelling program (our current one is HORRID!). We're using Spelling Connections because, well, it was free, and we already had what we needed. My question is, do you pretest your students in spelling? What do you do if they get 100% or fail miserably? Do you pretest on Mondays? We'd like to differentiate for our lows and highs. Please share any routines that have worked for you!

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2011

I pretest and supplement with other words that follow the pattern and/or words from their writing.

4. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 27, 2011

My team pretests. If a student gets 100% then they have no spelling homework that week as well as does not need to take the Friday test.

5. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 27, 2011

Our district requires us to provide enrichment for those who already know the words, so I'll have to find something for those who already get 100%. Anything you do for those who REALLY struggle? 15 words seem like a lot to learn when you get them all wrong on the pretest.

6. teacherCA

teacherCA Rookie

Aug 27, 2011

I pretest on Monday. If they score 100%, then they don't take the test on Friday.

Those that miss words rewrite them next to the missed word and complete a spelling box on the back (I have a pre-printed sheet for pretests). A spelling box is a box divided up into 4 lines. On the first line, they write the word and then give three checks for: write the word, say the word, spell the word). The next three lines, they write the word and next to each is a box that says "check". They check it to show they rechecked the word.

They complete a spelling box for each word missed.

Weekly spelling practice (supplement to curriculum):
    I assign a spelling contract on Monday. Students choose three activities and complete them using their spelling words. It is due on Friday. I list about 20 different activities on their coversheet (rainbow trace, outline, bubble letters, sailboats, dot letters, spell-a-ma-doodle, etc). They have fun with it. =)

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 27, 2011

I've always given a Monday pre-test. I provide a "challenge" spelling list to those who score 100% on the Monday pre-test.

8. bondo

bondo Cohort

Aug 30, 2011

I also pre-test on Monday. 100% you are all set for the week, except for 5 tough words. Students who do poorly have to write each word 5 times. The real test is Friday.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2011

We pretested on Wednesday... a 100% meant no test on Friday!!!

10. TripleTeach

TripleTeach Rookie

Aug 30, 2011

If a student gets 100 on Monday, and they do no further spelling work during the week, how do their spelling skills increase? My students who are above grade level spellers have an alternative list that challenges them.