To leave or not to leave... that is the question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by snow k, Jul 11, 2017.

1. snow k

snow k New Member

Jul 11, 2017

This may be long, but any advice or food for thought is appreciated.
    I have two degrees, Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Education and to be honest I have never really made my mind up as to which direction I should go. I have been teaching for three years and the first year was incredibly rough, as I have learned it is for most beginners, but it really left a sour taste in my mouth. Anyways, the following year I had a grade change, and it was not a grade level that I felt I was suited for, but I made it work. It was definitely better than the first year, however, I find Sept- Feb/March I always struggle. It is so hard for me to think positively in those months (maybe seasonal depression?). I like kids, and I have one of my own, but to be brutally honest, I get very burned out in those months and I am not passionate about much in the curriculum. So after March, I don't know if it is because spring hits, or the end is near, I start to feel a light, where I can actually think positive thoughts and enjoy myself. My mood completely shifts gears. This year it all happened again, I wrote a journal this time, and again Sept- Feb. I wasn't in the best mind frame and wrote a few times that I need to get out, but then it all shifted again in March. And now the confliction happens, a friend of mine had recommended me to her company, and I have a job offer on the table. It is a sales position, but you are able to work from home a lot of the time. It also pays a lot more than teaching, BUT only 3 weeks holidays, opposed to the generous time off that teaching provides. I think I would enjoy this work, but my concerns are the pressure of sales, job stability (even though this is a market-leading company, job stability concerns me), and the fluctuation that the schedule may bring; some days it is work from 9-2, other days it is 8-6. I also want to mention that my husband is a teacher so we currently have the same time off and we have a small son. I don't love teaching, but I also don't think I hate it. And I really don't want to jeopardize time with my family. Any advice?? What would you do? What should I consider and think more about?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Maven

Jul 12, 2017

I have always considered family to be more important than my job, especially when I had young children. Those memories can't be replaced, and the parenting is so important those years.
    You will always have time to take a sales job when your child is older, but the time you spend with him now is priceless.
    That being said, if you need the extra money to survive, that may make your decision for you.

snow k likes this.
  4. SageScience

SageScience Companion

Jul 14, 2017

Try out the sales job and see if you like it. Working from home is a luxury. As a teacher, you work 8 - 6 every day, anyway. If you don't try the job, you'll always be wondering "what if..."

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 14, 2017

September to March is a long time to struggle. It might be time to try something else, if you think you could get another teaching job in the future if you wanted it.

6. snow k

snow k New Member

Jul 14, 2017

Thanks for the reply and thoughts. I am definitely one of those "what if" thinkers. Thanks a lot.

SageScience likes this.
  7. snow k

snow k New Member

Jul 14, 2017

Thanks Missy. It is definitely a long time to struggle, this I know. Gosh do I ever wish I could just be someone who loves teaching. I see those people and I talk to them and I try to be them, but the pieces aren't coming together.

8. SageScience

SageScience Companion

Jul 14, 2017

Teaching will always be there if you decide to return. 3 weeks of vacation is a lot, by the way. Plus, you can always go on vacation and work from there if that is an option. Either way, good luck!
    P.S. I was a teacher who left the classroom and it's been 6 years. Now I'm looking to return because I actually miss teaching. I guess I needed a breather.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017