To email or not to email?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by historyknitter, Mar 16, 2017.

1. historyknitter

historyknitter Rookie

Mar 16, 2017

There is a job opening at my former middle school (low-income, bad part of town, large ELL population - so many people prefer to apply to other schools in town) and since I went there I think I have a chance, and two of my references know the principal pretty well from my understanding (lucky me!)
    I just applied yesterday, but honestly, I have been dreaming of working at this school since I went there and was inspired to teach because of my history teacher there.

So, since, I just sent it in yesterday I know I shouldn't email this soon, but when can I? I really just want to be noticed and move forward with them but I also don't want to sound crazy or desperate.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Mar 16, 2017

Why wouldn't you email when you apply? Attach a resume and send away.

4. historyknitter

historyknitter Rookie

Mar 16, 2017

I always read to wait a week or 2 before emailing. But I mean, if you think about it it is more from like big businesses standpoint rather than schools. I feel like I'm overthinking everything. I have been subbing all year and just want my own classroom.

5. heatherberm

heatherberm Comrade

Mar 16, 2017

I would absolutely email just to say hey, I'm a former student who was inspired to go into teaching because of the great teaching I got while there, I would love to work with you, I applied to the recent opening for X. Maybe it helps and it certainly doesn't hurt.

K6TEACHER19 and Linguist92021 like this.
  6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 17, 2017

Some districts or cities strongly discourage emailing when one applies for a job; discussion here on A to Z indicates that it's generally wise to do as the hiring agency says. In this case, however, historyknitter, you have that personal connection, so I'll agree with heatherberm here: even if the hiring agency discourages emails, email the principal once to gush about the school. (You'll know from the principal's reply whether further emailing is appropriate.)

7. monkeyrun

monkeyrun Rookie

Mar 26, 2017

Unless it says no to, email. And with what I have seen, I absolutely wouldn't wait two weeks. I'm trying to transfer to another school in my district. With one place I interviewed at, n less than a week they already had over 100 applicants and had set up interviews. Two weeks from the day they posted they had already interviewed and hired someone (not me :( ).

I'm sure some places may wait longer, but that hasn't been the case with anywhere I've applied, and so far I've worked for three very different districts in two different states.