Title Reminder?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ChildWhisperer, Aug 25, 2018.

1. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Aug 25, 2018

I'm at a new school, and most of my new coworkers have been calling me Miss LastName.
    Our P even made signs for every teacher/classroom and mine has "Miss" on it (not even "Ms").
    Is there a way to nicely tell people I'm a Mrs without sounding like a btch? :sweatsmile:
    Some people have asked (which I appreciated), so I tell them, and all the kids know because I introduced myself as Mrs LastName.

I've never had this problem before, because in Pre-K, we went by Ms. FirstName, and then before that, I was not married so I was Miss MaidenName.

Maybe the answer is obvious, but the weirdest things give me anxiety :rolleyes: and then I overthink things.
    And I don't want to sound rude.
    Or maybe it doesn't matter and I just let it go? Get a bigger ring? :p

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 25, 2018

Around here it is common that pretty much every female teacher is just known by Ms. Last Name.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

Aug 25, 2018

Ditto. You can use whatever last name you want, but Mrs, is going to become Ms. Just the way it is. I say, pick your battles carefully. If they get the last name you want to be called by right, settle for Ms. Otherwise, have your sign remade at your expense if you really want to make Mrs. an issue. Just a suggestion. I am a Mrs who is just as happy to be Ms. I recognize that Ms became the feminists preferred title decades ago, so I am loathe to create a mountain out of a molehill. This is, of course, just my opinion. My husband is still in the house when I get home, so losing that one "r" is inconsequential to me.

bella84 likes this.
  5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Aug 25, 2018

Everyone else who is married goes by Mrs here, but I guess it doesn't matter.
    I never put up the Miss sign though. If it said Ms, whatever. But I'm definitely not a Miss.

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 25, 2018

If you don't want to ask for another sign, which is understandable, you can make your own sign with your name on it. It doesn't have to be a big deal. If you have a classroom theme, make it a themed sign so it matches your decor. No one will think anything of it.

You can also put Mrs. __ in your email signature so that people get used to seeing it. Ditto for putting a plate of cookies in the teachers' lounge with a sign that says "Enjoy! From Mrs. ___."

These are all subtle things, and of course you can go the direct route and just ask to be addressed in the way you prefer. It's up to you.

7. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 25, 2018

And I have the opposite problem. Mrs. and no spouse, lol. I don't particularly care, I guess, so I just let it go?

I can vividly remember my teachers getting really up in arms as a kid if we used the wrong title, so maybe that's why I decided it's not a big thing.... But, if it really bothers you, maybe make a room sign of your own with your preferred title? That would be pretty non-confrontational, I think?

8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 25, 2018

I have never understood society’s fixation with knowing if a female is married or not. What relevance does that have when addressing a person by their formal name? We don’t care if a male is married or not when addressing that person, so why would we care if a woman is married or not, unless either party is actively seeking out a marital partner, in which case they could just ask? Why not just have a neutral prefix for females like “Mr” is for a male who is single or married?

ms.irene, bella84, otterpop and 2 others like this.
  9. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Aug 25, 2018

I don't mind going by "Ms", but when it's typed/written out as "Miss", then I go o_O
    And if everyone else is going by Mrs, then gosh darn it, I want to be a Mrs too :p

futuremathsprof likes this.
  10. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 25, 2018

I agree. All females, IMO, should be addressed as Mrs, regardless of their marital status. And this is coming from someone who is a male.

ChildWhisperer likes this.
  11. Aces

Aces Cohort

Aug 25, 2018

Personally in going to have to echo what someone else said. Pick your battles carefully. Just my personal opinion but if your title is the worst of your worries, sounds like you're off to a fantastic start to the school year!

bella84 likes this.
  12. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 25, 2018

Same here. Oddly enough, one of my closer friends (doesn't work at my school anymore) used to refer to herself as "Miss" with the kids but would refer to me as "Mrs." She obviously knew I wasn't married. I thought it was odd but not something I was going to bother to address.

I agree with this too.

13. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 25, 2018

I hate Miss in general. I've always preferred Ms. I was Ms. before I got married and I'm Ms. now too.

ChildWhisperer and otterpop like this.
  14. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Aug 25, 2018

I just got married, and my kids are still calling me "Miss." I don't mind, but having it in writing on a sign is a little different. Heck, I'm happy if they get the proper pronunciation for my long, Greek last name ;)

15. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 25, 2018

Do you pronounce it to sound like "miss" or "mizz?" I prefer Ms. in writing but I hate the "mizz" pronunciation. The only teachers I've ever heard use it were older divorcees that I had when I was a student many years ago, so that's all it makes me think of! All of our doors say Ms.

My teammate is married but chose to keep her own name. I used to call her "Mrs." but started using "Miss" instead when I noticed that's how she refers to herself with students.

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 25, 2018

I’ve been at my school 26 years. I have things in my classroom with Miss D, Mrs. H, Ms. H, and Mrs. S. I don’t overthink it. If I make it, I use the name I want. If someone else makes it, I just go with it.

otterpop likes this.
  17. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 25, 2018

Personally, I agree 100%. It's no one's business. I prefer to go by Ms. for this reason.

However, it matters to the OP. If someone had the name William and wanted to be called Bill, I'd view it similarly.

18. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Aug 25, 2018

It's actually not :rolleyes: but I didn't want to complain about the big things on here because it's a public forum, and I'm scared :p

19. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

Aug 25, 2018

Always better safe than sorry.

ChildWhisperer likes this.
  20. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 25, 2018

I pronounce it Miz. I always hated even the pronunciation of Miss lol. I don't know why but even as a student it didn't do it for me All of our teachers go by Ms. or Mrs. I haven't seen anyone in our building using Miss yet.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2018

The OP has the right to be addressed as she prefers. Put a bit of tape over the ‘is’ in Miss and write in an ‘r’. :)

ChildWhisperer, a2z and swansong1 like this.