Tired of looking for a job!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by MissE, Apr 5, 2006.

1. MissE

MissE Rookie

Apr 5, 2006

I live in Pittsburgh, Pa and job opportunities in elem ed. around here are hard to come by. I have been out of school for two years now. I am getting sick of having to work two jobs to pay bills and still not being able to live on my own! I am really frustrated and I don't know what to do. I've always said that I will never relocate because I don't want to leave my family behind, but I'm beginning to think that it may be my only option. I am currently working in a fourth grade classroom as a "co-teacher" which means that I am basically an instructional aide with a glorified title. I love my job. But I want my own classroom, and a salary position. I have started to research areas of North Carolina and Virginia. I am really scared to move so far on my own. Anyone from these areas care to share how they feel about thier jobs??? I am in need of desperate need of advice. I don't know anyone from either area so I'm totally left in the dark. :confused:

3. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Apr 5, 2006

Have you looked outside the Pittsburgh area? My first position was 30 minutes from my family. Not bad. I was able to get an apartment close to work, yet I was still close to home. You could apply within a few hours of home and not feel so far away.

4. MissE

MissE Rookie

Apr 5, 2006

It's difficult in PA period. This area is a really great place to teach. Teachers unions, high salaries, etc. I just don't know where to move to thats going to be easier to get a job, and a place that I will enjoy. But then again I guess no one can really tell me that it's up for me to decide.

5. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Apr 6, 2006

I am in the same boat MissE. I am in eastern Ohio and there are no jobs here either. Even if there were any they pay close to nothing. I am relocating to Virginia where they NEED teachers. I went to a job fair in Va last month and already recieved a job offer from Richmond though I really want something closer to Virginia Beach. I don't know anyone in Va, but at least I will have my husband, son and cats with me. My sister lives in Pittsburgh Pa and she was lucky enough to land a great job in a good school a year after she graduated. Good luck to you.

6. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

Apr 6, 2006

I wish you the best of luck.

N. Carolina is a great place to teach. They have the second best pension plan in the U.S. for teachers and the cost of living is pretty low (rent for as low as $450).
    I did not know that Virginia had a teacher shortage. How is the pay there?

7. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Apr 7, 2006

It seems like the pay is fair in regards to the cost of living. Richmond starts at $35,000. It seems that most districts are between 32000 and 36000.

8. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Apr 7, 2006

You are fortunate that your husband and son don't mind moving. I have suggested to my family that we move to Virginia so I can get a job, but my teenage kids don't want to hear it.

9. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Apr 8, 2006

Miss E.-I totally feel your pain. I am in SW Ohio (Cincinnati area) and the market is TERRIBLE here too. :( I am currently doing the charter school circuit-not fun-until I find my "dream job." Except I don't really know what that is anymore-ha-ha!! Anyhoo, have you considered Atlanta, GA? My brother lived down there for several years and loved it. I know they too are in desperate need of teachers, and I believe you could find a good job pretty easily. Whatever you do, don't give up! You will find what you are looking for eventually. Good luck!! -Meri