Tips on teaching cause and effect...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Green_eyed_gal, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Green_eyed_gal

Green_eyed_gal Comrade

Oct 28, 2008

I'm teaching cause and effect this week and this kids don't seem to be getting it... I don't know if It's me or if it's just a harder concept to learn.

Does anyone have any tips on how to teach cause and effect?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!! :)

3. BB0211

BB0211 Companion

Oct 28, 2008

Yes! I used this little trick last year and it worked wonders!

Make a T-Chart.
    Write the words because and so above the T-Chart in the center and put arrows for the according direction.

Then the students read the statements inserting the so and because. For example: Cause is "it rained" effect is "I brought an umbrella." I would write this in the -Chart and have the students read it "It rained SO I brought an umbrella." and then "I brought an umbrella BECAUSE it rained." They loved accentuating the because and so as they say it.

Example:

S0 >
    < Because
    Cause Effect

4. agdamity

agdamity Connoisseur

Oct 29, 2008

Cut idea bb0211! I'm also teaching cause/effect this week! It is a hard skill, so just stay with it! I make sure to give causes and have them tell me the effects, but then I also gice effects and they tell me the causes. Practice, practice, practice.

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 29, 2008

Read If You Give a Mouse a Cookie to the class. Then work together to put the causes and effects on the board in a flow chart format.

6. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Oct 30, 2008

i have them think of it as "if" "then" statements. "if" this happens "then" this is going to happen. mine got it with this. if you read "the day jimmy's boa ate the wash" it has a lot of cause and effect in it. i have a link in my ikeepbookmarks page from the readwritethink website that has a week's worth of lessons using all the jimmy's boa books. it was great!

good luck...remember to use LOTS of reinforcement!
    LC

7. agdamity

agdamity Connoisseur

Oct 30, 2008

Today, I listed effects and had my students find the causes. Many of them found this easier than finding the effects if the causes were listed.

8. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Oct 30, 2008

Start with a simple picture book like If you give a Mouse a Cookie for example.

9. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Oct 30, 2008

I always use this! It works really well with the kids, especially if you start off with a simple picture book until they get used to it.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 30, 2008

Demonstrate cause and effect actively - push down the first domino in a row, build a too-high tower and watch it fall, pour too much water in a cup. Then, suggest some other causes and have kids predict the effects. What would you expect would happen if I hop with a book on my head? Write my name with my eyes closed? Make it fun and silly, then move into more serious scenarios.

11. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Jan 26, 2009

I let go of the pencil, and then... it dropped. I demonstrate this type of thing, and then I pass out a graphic organizer with causes on the left and arrows pointing to effects on the right. I write some causes in, and I have the kids fill out the effect. They can write any effect as long as it could happen after the cause on the left. Then we do a round robin sharing of what everyone wrote after each cause. They had fun with this!