Tips for stretching out a lesson plan?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Brian of the Hills, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Brian of the Hills

Brian of the Hills Rookie

Apr 16, 2018

Hello everyone, I am here again looking for some advice. I've been substitute teaching for a couple weeks now and so far it's been going well, however I recently accepted a job where I would sub for the same teacher for the next two weeks. When I arrived at the school today, he left me an emergency lesson plan that was good for three days and left a quick note suggesting I stretch it out over the week.

It is a science class at an alternative high school and this week they are going over a chapter in their Biology textbooks about the skeletal system. The chapter comes in three parts, and according to the lesson plan the students should read one part a day over three days while filling out worksheets for each part. This of course leaves two whole days unaccounted for in the week (assuming he has a similar plan next week for a different chapter). My background being English rather than Biology, does anyone here have any tips for filling out all that extra time? Thank you!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  3. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Apr 16, 2018

Are there any other science teachers that you could check in with at the school?

Brian of the Hills likes this.
  4. Brian of the Hills

Apr 16, 2018

Looks like there is one other, I can ask! Thank you!

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 16, 2018

This really isn't fair to you. No teacher should expect you to stretch something out that far, she basically left no plans for 2 days. Going to the P is probably not a good idea, but that's what should happen. She better give you a glowing recommendation after this.

6. Been There

Been There Habitué

Apr 16, 2018

If you aren't obligated to stay for two weeks, you should probably seek another sub assignment.

7. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Apr 16, 2018

Can you find a good movie for them?

8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Apr 16, 2018

I remember once when I was in AP Bio as a junior, my substitute had us watch “Your Magic Doctor” on YouTube because it was related to the unit we were covering and the lesson didn’t take as long as the teacher thought it would.

9. rpan

rpan Cohort

Apr 17, 2018

If you have some butchers paper roll you could draw a life sized outline of a person. On A4 paper, get students to draw out a few parts of the skeletal system and cut them out. Perhaps give students 5 or 6 bones each at random. They should be anatomically correct and be able to fit into the outline you have drawn. That could be one lesson. Then in the second lesson, they could play a version of pin the tail on the donkey or in this case stick the bone in the human.
    There are also online games like these if you have access to laptops.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 17, 2018

I just searched "lesson plans high school biology skeletal system" and came up with a number of interesting hits, including a New York high school's page, https://www.geneseocsd.org/Page/1063; TeachEngineering's relevant and surprising https://www.teachengineering.org/lessons/view/van_skeletal_system_less2 (I like that kind of surprise), and CK-12's https://www.ck12.org/biology/skeletal-system/. That's assuming you want to stay with the skeleton. You might also see if you can find the teacher's syllabus; it may be online, if the school runs that way - anyway, the syllabus should tell you which body system the teacher had planned to cover next, and perhaps you could look up ways that the skeletal system connects with that system and the ones that the students have already covered.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 17, 2018

You could have the students write questions about the chapter and then use them in a Kahoot or a Jeopardy game.

Brian of the Hills and rpan like this.
  12. Brian of the Hills

Apr 17, 2018

Holy moly thanks for the suggestions everyone! So far things have been going very smoothly, I've gotten quite a bit of support from the rest of the staff. I'll look for opportunities to employ some of these great ideas!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  13. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Apr 24, 2018

Check out "Crash Course Biology" videos on youtube.
    If I am in a pinch and need a quick assignment, I will play a youtube video about their topic in class and have them write down 20 facts from the video.

Also, check out jeopardylab.com