Tips for new subs...

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by mandagap06, Oct 6, 2009.

1. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 6, 2009

I have seen a few new threads about new subs so I am going to tell you some of tip from my 3yr experence. Some will be no brainers but just stick with reading anyway. Other subs feel free to add to this list.

1. NEVER leave the kids unattended.
    2. Always be on time for lunch, P.E., music, library or any other activity.
    3. If the teacher did not say anything about the students using the computer or if they are off do not use them without asking another teacher if its ok. She/He may not want the kids using them without them there.
    4. If subbing in a Profoundly mentally retarted classroom, offer as much help as you can to the aides or those left in the classroom examples: offer to help get things for lunch or snack, offer to help with taking them to the potty and this means like you would a child who is being potty trained simular manner. It helps you get called back they need help desperatly in these type rooms and a warm body type person (one who just sits all day) is a turn off and no called back.
    5. Arrive early. My goal is to be at the regualar rooms by 7:15-7:20am and special ed rooms no later than 7:30am.If you don't arrive until the kids do then you are not prepared. This allows you plenty of time to put your stuff up, go to the restroom, read lesson plans and find materals needed and time to ask another grade level or subject level teacher for help if somethings no clear, time to put your name on the board.
    6. Learn the school policies for things: Ask or talk to the other teacher next door to find out if they are aloud to leave and for what reason. Example : Some schools have a rule of no going to the library until afternoon, or maybe the middle schoolers were told to go to the bathroom before arriving to your class for w/e subject you should know the rules so the kids won't pull one over on you.
    7. Don't come off easy to start, timid or shy or you will get run over by the kids.
    8. If you have any problems or are unsure always ask another teacher or call office.
    9. Oh, and find out what your area does for lunch mine we eat lunch with the kids if its elem., middle and highschool you just have to eat in the lunchroom but are not responsible for kids unless you are on duty.
    10. Oh, and don't worry so much about completing the assignments. Yes I do want things left by teachers completed, if its a test I make darn sure it gets done and is not rushed for the kids, I just write down notes of what we did not get to. If she/ he leaves you like 20 math pgs for example you know its just to keep the students busy or something so lets say you know you only have time to do 3 pgs write that down.
    11. If its kinder or 1st grade--- you will have to prob do worksheets as a class you could say example: if the worksheet says circle the animal that does not belong you could say shhh don't tell me but do it on your paper if its not to be done as a group. Thats what I do since they are not good readers yet if they even are. But if I know it can be done wholegroup then I call on someone.
    12. Leave notes for the teacher such as who was very good and why.also who was bad(they love when you write why they were bad) if they come back and you put johnny was bad he hit little mary and called her and ugly name she can ask if this is true and wont tell her a story.

3. azure

azure Companion

Oct 6, 2009

Assume the kids are lying if they are 4th grade or higher.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2009

:confused: As a teacher who has to leave my kids with subs more often than I'd like sometimes, this really makes me sad.

5. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 6, 2009

I felt the same way. Not all kids are lying just cuz' they are 4th grade or higher.

6. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

Oct 7, 2009

Don't forget to make sure you have a class list and check to make sure the emergency binder/folder is where it is supposed to be. Nothing can be worse then having to evacuate the building without knowing who is in the class (never happened to me, but could have if I didn't ask for a class list).

This is a must and it always annoys me to see that teachers don't have a class list (sorry if this is you). Attendance cards are not enough! I cannot tell you how many times I have either went to the office for a copy or wrote the names down myself (it's at least 1/2 to 3/4 of the time).

7. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 7, 2009

Thank you Michael for that added post. That is major and I overlooked it! Thanks!!

8. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Oct 7, 2009

Most teachers that I subbed for do not have seating charts. So a complete and accurate seating chart would be really helpful. Thanks!

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 7, 2009

Figure out the location of every faculty bathroom and whether or not it requires a key. If it does, GET THAT KEY!!! :eek:

10. fratermus

fratermus Companion

Oct 7, 2009

You might be shocked by the frequency and audacity of the deceptions students try to pull on single-day subs. In some schools the feeling is not unlike being accosted by 10 street hustlers an hour: "Check it out. My car is out of gas and I just need a couple of bucks to get back to my house ....", only with testing, homework, absences, bathroom breaks and office passes intead of gas money. In some schools it's a non-stop hustle.

I might have phrased the original statement like this: "In the absence of a trusted student's name left in the sub note for that class, it is unwise to consider information solicited from students as generally reliable."

Seems to me that the effective remedy is to provide the sub with the name of a trusted student in each class.

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 7, 2009

"I'll give you a dollar if you say you couldn't find the pop quiz / homework / detention slips." Ugh, do they think we're just in it for the money?!?

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2009

fratermus--I am certainly aware of the fact that students can, and do, try to take advantage of a sub. My reaction wasn't so much to the possible less-than-stellar behaviour, but to the sense that students above a certain age can't be trusted to be truthful. Sorry if I offended.

13. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Oct 8, 2009

My favorite was when I was subbing for a 7th/8th grade teacher whose classroom was in the 7th grade area and the last hour of the day was 8th graders when one of the 8th graders came up to me and commented that "since we have to walk so far to get to our lockers, she lets us out a couple of minutes early." I asked him if he was for sure telling the truth and he shook his head no with a small smile on his face, I told him I didn't think so and thanked him for his honesty.

14. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 8, 2009

I am with MrsC, that was my reaction too!!

15. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 8, 2009

When I hear something like this I normally say ---"Well, that's good, however, Mrs. Jones isn't here today. We will leave when the bell rings."........

16. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Oct 8, 2009

The FIRST thing I find when I sub...even before the day's instructions...is the seating chart!

And then (IF I find it...and the LARGE majority of the time I do not)
    then I check to see if it IS correct by going through desks and checking names on papers to names on the chart.

A CURRENT/GOOD Seating Chart...and calling students by their names IMMEDIATELY helps to solve MANY discipline problems!!!!

PLUS telling them that you are NOT one of those subs that writes that "The day was wonderful" when it wasn't. But instead that you will report EVERYTHING! (Sometimes I give this "bad sub" rant to them immediately..and I am greeted by saddened doe-eyed darlings who wonder why anyone would be so rough- and then they in reality are angels. I'll feel sorry for being so tough at the beginning...but it's like defensive driving. It's something that needs to be done. If it wsan't needed then you have a beautiful day...but if it WAS you and the class STILL arrive in one piece.)

Again...MAKE A SEATING CHART... the sub KNOWING who you are, and Believing that she WILL report it, makes you question if you REALLY want to be snotty.

17. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2009

Knowing their names is the key!

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 8, 2009

Something I can't stand that kids do w/ the sub is when 1 kid raises their hand to go to the bathroom, they suddenly all have to go. It never fails!

So, at the start of the day up front, tell them that they better really have to go because after that 1 kid does it, you're NOT letting anyone else.

Also, for all the other kids who have to go, tell them you'll take a couple points away, or they have to be the last one in line for recess or they'll lose 1 minute of their recess time or not get a sticker, etc...then see if they still have to go. I seriously doubt it! :)

19. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Oct 9, 2009

Those are great tips Ms. I, thanks!

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 9, 2009

Anytime myownwoman!

21. Joelg1980

Joelg1980 Companion

Oct 9, 2009

Be consistent! I give clear orders and instructions, and stick to 'em. It takes one student to test you-how are you going to react?'

Also, I believe whole-heartedly in positive reinforcement for k-5. I put the names of those students "caught being good", and call it Mr. G's Star Students. I then use this as a bargining chip for recess or other privileges. Even though they would get them anyway, I say they have to earn it by so many students having names on the board-usually 80% of class total. That way the "turds" can't ruin it for the rest of the class.