Tips for kindergarten and first grade interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by FarFromHome, Jun 3, 2011.

1. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2011

Many of you know I really didn't like the teaching position I was in this last semester. I posted about it at the beginning, but haven't said much lately. It didn't get any better, so I'm now looking for a new job.

I just scheduled my fourth interview in less than 2 weeks. This one is only 2 miles from my house and at a school that has a lot of military children (which is similar to where I worked for 3.5 years). The only thing different is that this interview is for a kindergarten and a first grade job (two different positions). I've only taught 3rd and 5th, so I'm a little nervous. Does anyone have any tips for these grade levels? Thanks in advance!

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 3, 2011

no tips for K or 1st grade, but just wanted to wish you GOOD LUCK :) and wow, 4 interviews!! That's awesome

Sending you good vibes FFH and hope everything else is going well

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2011

Thank you!

5. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 3, 2011

For K: they may ask how you would go about teaching basic reading and/or writing. They may ask about your approach to discipline or how you will handle children who may never have been in school before.

For 1st: You may again get asked about approach to discipline. You may also be asked how you would handle multileveled readers in your class since you can have a wide array of abilities in one room.

Good luck!! :thumb:

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2011

Thank you Mommyserenity! I know I can handle the discipline-I will need to prepare for the reading questions before Monday.

Out of the four interviews so far, this is the one I want the most!

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2011

Good luck!

8. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jun 3, 2011

I would expect questions on differentiation and beginning reading. I will actually look up my notes from my interview last year and post...

I have an interview on Monday, too for kindergarten (there is no grade level I would rather be!!!!)! Good luck! You will rock it! Best wishes!

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2011

I would love to see your notes. Thank you so much!

10. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jun 3, 2011

Differentiation- high and low
    Literacy block- what would I see
    Math block- how do you teach it
    Special education experience?
    feelings on Inclusion- Including SpEd- severe and emo disturbed
    Behavior management
    Parent involvement- home school communication links
    Weakness
    Educational background

I had two interviews for this position these are the notes from my first one- I must have more notes somewhere else. I will keep looking and I will see if I can find my notes from interview 2.

What time is your interview on Monday?

11. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jun 3, 2011

Last year obviously was my first year interviewing for a teaching job and of course I was a nervous wreck- I was just insane- so I did what any good student does and I studied. I studied atoz and combed the interview threads and took every question that was posted and wrote out a reply and printed it. I have about a 25 page packet of interview questions and answers that I lived on last summer. If I was not trying out interview outfits or on an interview or dropping off resumes in person to every school within 1.5 hours of me, I was studying that packet.

I know they also asked why should we hire you? What are your strengths and weaknesses?
    By interview 2 I guess I must have just been wiped because I cannot find any notes from it, but I think they were more situational ones- that was in front of the panel. Like what would you do if this happened or a student did this etc.

12. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

Jun 3, 2011

If you're interviewing for either, it would be good to know about guided reading, balanced literacy, and how to intervene for children who are not meeting reading goals. I don't know where you are but here reading progress is everything.

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2011

Thank you everyone! I am out right now (looking on my phone), but I'll read over everything later.

My interview is at 8:20. But I just scheduled another interview for 3:00 on Monday. I'm not sure what grade level this one is.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2011

Good luck on both interviews!!