Timeline of Application Season in the US

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by linswin23, Oct 15, 2017.

1. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Oct 15, 2017

Hi everyone,

I've been teaching abroad the past three years, and the application season for international schools tends to be a lot earlier than the domestic season. The last job I had in the US I got right out of uni, and I had literally applied to hundreds of openings. My former school called me in October, so I never went through the traditional application process. Do you think you could share with me the general timeline of when to apply for jobs in the US? I know it's super early, so should I just wait, or should I start sending my resume to schools of interest? I don't want to seem desperate, but I know I'm moving back home and want to get on this.

Thanks, all :)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 15, 2017

This time of year, there are very few openings...mostly LTS/maternity replacement. Sometimes, a rare January retirement. Your best bet would be subbing for now. Around April tends to be a good time for polishing up resume...by May you want to get your package to every public, private and charter within a reasonable commute. Keep in mind many districts now use online applications...Applitrack is one common format.
    Good luck to you.

linswin23 likes this.
  4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 15, 2017

Are you asking for this school year or next school year? Assuming you're talking about next school year, it varies by region, but no way will anyone have anything posted now! In my home state it was common for things to not really pick up until school was out. That was a very saturated market. Schools didn't want to fool with interviewing/hiring during the school year and they knew they'd still have plenty of applicants come summer. Around here, there is somewhat of a teacher shortage so schools will interview as soon as they can while their pool of applicants is the biggest. Our large city district will start in February. The biggest months tend to be late March-early May. Of course some positions will trickle in over the summer as people resign unexpectedly, but you wouldn't see as many postings as in the spring.

I wouldn't bother sending your resume now; it will just get forgotten by the time there are actually openings. Are you going back to your home state? Do you still have your teaching license for that state? If not, that's the thing I would get on right away. You'll want to make sure you have it in hand when you start applying. Also make sure you have all of your letters of rec ready to go if you haven't done that already. Some people take awhile to write those!

AlwaysAttend and linswin23 like this.
  5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 16, 2017

I'm in Ohio and I usually start seeing positions come through as early as March. Most are posted in April, May, and June though. Postings in July are a bit rare in my area and it's usually last minute changes.

linswin23 likes this.
  6. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Oct 16, 2017

In NYC April is the earliest, but honestly too early. Prime time is June/July. But most offers for new teachers come in August and even beginning of September. School starts after Labor Day here.

Froreal3 and linswin23 like this.
  7. svassillion

svassillion Rookie

Oct 20, 2017

In MA it tends to begin for the following school year at the end of March although most don't post until after April vacation. Job offers come in two waves, the month of June and the week before school begins (end of August). Our school year this year goes from Aug 28-June 13.

linswin23 likes this.
  8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 20, 2017

In northern CA, postings seem to get earlier every year as districts get more desperate to hire lots of teachers. This year there were postings in February. My district posted in March and I interviewed and got hired in early April. School starts the 2nd or 3rd week of August here, and most hiring is done by sometime in June, which is when school ends.

linswin23 likes this.
  9. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2017

I agree with other posters. Right now, only apply for direct openings (which will be leave replacements mostly). Don’t inundate schools with unsolicited applications when they’ll just get thrown out or misplaced anyway.

linswin23 likes this.