Time until Interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jw12, Jun 14, 2012.

1. jw12

jw12 Rookie

Jun 14, 2012

I've applied for a position at a school district which is close to my home. I hold a Bachelor's Degree in the content area (science) and my M.Ed. I filled out the application and included a list of awards/honors as well as three letters of recommendation, and then hand-delivered the application. I feel that I'm completely qualified for the position.

This was nearly two weeks ago and still no interview... I don't really want to call because I don't want to seem "pushy." Besides, I doubt that they could tell me anything other than "the Superintendent is reviewing all of the applications, etc., etc..."

Is it safe to assume that I won't be called for an interview at all, or is it still too early to tell? How long should I wait before giving up on getting this job?

If anyone has any comments/suggestions/moral support to give, I would really appreciate it.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2012

Was there an application deadline?

I would call just to ask where they are in the hiring process. You might find that they have already filled the position or that they haven't begun yet, but at least you'll know.

4. jw12

jw12 Rookie

Jun 14, 2012

No, there wasn't an application deadline. I know that the school was in need of a principal as well. So maybe they're going to hire a principal, and then let him/her hire new teacher(s). There's a board meeting coming up soon, so maybe I'll learn something then!

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 15, 2012

Obviously there is no guarantee you will be interviewed just because you are qualified. My guess though would be they are waiting on a new principal.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 15, 2012

You can't expect an interview just because you applied. Just be patient. I guess you could call and ask if they have started interviewing yet but it does seem a bit pushy.

7. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Jun 15, 2012

If I had to take a guess, they might be waiting on a new principal before they search for other positions. :)

8. jw12

jw12 Rookie

Jun 15, 2012

Thanks to all. I agree that in this tough market, being qualified doesn't mean being hired. Plus, I have my master's, which puts me higher on the pay scale and could have a negative effect on my job prospects.

I think I might wait until they hire the new principal, and then see if anything happens. I guess I'm just anxious!

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2012

Yes, if they are hiring a new principal, give it some time. You can keep an eye out at the board meetings to see if they have hired a new principal.

10. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jun 16, 2012

They probably want to hire a new principal first so that person can have input in the hiring process.

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 16, 2012

In the meantime, get your applications to other schools.

12. jw12

jw12 Rookie

Jun 17, 2012

They've had the principal's position open for months now, so maybe this district is just slow at hiring. Whatever the reason, yes, I do have applications in at other schools. If all else fails, I'll substitute until another position opens.