Time to pick your brains...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by swansong1, Feb 12, 2018.

1. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2018

I mentioned a few days ago that I am going to begin a high school program with my graduating SPED class.
    In my planning stage, we know what curriculum we are using and we have a building on our campus that isn't being used.

What I am trying to find are ideas to provide extra curricular activities, strategies to make my students really feel like they are in high school, and anything else that I might not realize are important in our plans.

Can anyone help? Thanks

3. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 12, 2018

Does your school have a Best Buddies program? It can be a wonderful club.

https://www.bestbuddies.org/

On their page you can see if there are any local programs to get advice about how to start one on your campus and potentially pair with them for some events.

Depending on the severity of the students there may be things on your campus they can be part of regardless. See if they can be part of some of the regular clubs in a capacity that works for them.

How are they integrated in lunch? Pep rallies? That can be a big deal.

readingrules12 likes this.
  4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2018

I like that idea. My students do not have severe enough disabilities that prevent them from joining in all the other activities at the school. We would like them to feel that they are actually in high school, instead of just another classroom at the school.

5. Been There

Been There Cohort

Feb 13, 2018

To help ensure the success of your new program, your students should be given the opportunity to provide input during the planning stage. Have you solicited their opinions and ideas about what they envision for the program? If your goal is to integrate your students into the regular ed. program as much as possible, you may want to avoid having your students spend too much time in the special ed. building even for extracurricular activities - especially since their disabilities do not "prevent them from joining in all the other activities at the school". It's all too common for a separate building or room on campus to become exclusively associated with your special ed. students.

6. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Companion

Feb 13, 2018

This could work I am unsure.. Try to gather all of the activities the kids like to do and then create a peer mentorship program (kind of like best buddies) where they work together with their mentors on the activities they like to do. (soccer, chess, cooking etc..)

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2018

That's a good idea and is something we already do for our SPED students. I like the idea of getting their input.