Time-Saving Tips / Work Reduction Tips

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Dec 31, 2016.

1. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Companion

Jan 3, 2017

I've created "cheat sheets" for the paperwork I have to do most frequently. For example, for progress reports I use the same benchmark data for all of my students, so I've created a fill in the blank paragraph I can copy/paste and enter individual student scores in the boxes.

I let students check their own work whenever possible so that when I collect it I can review the score, see what they did well with and what they struggled with, and move rather than having to grade it all and then evaluate the data. I do double check randomly to make sure they were graded correctly, but it hasn't been an issue.

2. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Jan 3, 2017

I do cheat sheets all the time. That is really helpful.
    I designate one night a week to go on Pinterest or other sites to find activities. If I looked up things every day or whenever the mood struck me, I'd end up wasting a lot of time (I used to do that a LOT). I keep a copy of my school curriculum near my computer at work and at home so I can refer to it when I'm looking things up.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Jan 3, 2017

I also stopped making lesson plans too far in advance. We are required to keep 2 weeks worth of plans but basically I refuse to do more than that because a lot of times we don't really get to everything in the plans so I'd have to re-write them anyway if they carried on to the next week. I would say just do the minimum daily planning required by your school and maybe look ahead only for general themes and topics.

Backroads likes this.
  4. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Jan 4, 2017

Things I've done that I find extremely helpful:

1) Having students grade their own work. I have a small enough student to teacher ratio that I can easily keep an eye on my students. All of my quizzes are timed (usually 10 minutes) and as they finish I hand out red sharpies. They must put their utensils in the chair beside them or on the floor. Now, I'm not naive - I walk around all during the quiz and notice mistakes and problems students are missing so that I can question anything that looks suspicious. I've never had any problems with this approach; the students are aware that I'm on top of them.

2) I quit giving homework that I grade. I typically lecture for the first half of class, then the second half of class students work on problem sets individually or with a partner (their choice) as I wander the room answering questions and correcting mistakes. They know this is their best chance to prepare for assessments. The next day they will have a quiz over the material (see above).

3) I have all of my lesson plans saved, by the week, in Word documents. This way, year to year I already have the framework for the year. Granted, I know I'll be teaching the same thing year after year. Each year I pick one subject out of the three I teach to really beef up: add activities, overhaul assessments, etc. This way I don't get stagnant but don't stay constantly busy either modifying all my preps. For example, last year I added a lot to chemistry and this year is biology; I just constantly rotate.

4) I used to be a day-by-day prepper, but I've actually gotten away from that. I spend my conference period every Monday making all the copies I'll need for the upcoming week. This allows me uninterrupted planning periods the rest of the week to tackle other tasks, like improving lessons, entering grades, etc.

5. Backroads

Backroads Connoisseur

Jan 4, 2017

Converting much of my LA time to Daily 5 has helped enormously with time-saving.

6. otterpop

otterpop Fanatic

Jan 4, 2017

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  7. ms.irene

ms.irene Devotee

Jan 9, 2017

I just lol'ed at this since this is exactly what I am doing right now!

Peregrin5 likes this.