Time limit for calls

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by jen12, Sep 14, 2010.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Sep 14, 2010

At what point do you figure you won't be working that day? I've been getting up and ready at 6, just in case, but would like to go workout at a 9am class. Yesterday I got a call at 11 something and declined --should have taken it. Today, I missed a call around 7 because I had my phone on vibrate and didn't hear it. How long to you sit by the phone each day?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 14, 2010

To answer your question, btwn 7 & 7:30 at the latest if they haven't called, I wouldn't count on working that day.

Believe it or not, I've personally never really sat by the phone to wait for a sub job in all the yrs I've been subbing. I also have nev been dressed before I even know if I have a job that day, so I can be ready to walk out the door.

However, I have been called at the last minute several times, in which I get ready when that time comes.

4. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Sep 14, 2010

This year, due to layoffs, I'm sort of second-string. I got notification from three of my four districts that they're calling laid-off teachers to sub before regular subs, so we can't be requested and we should expect most calls the morning of the job.

It's only been a few weeks, so I'm waiting to see how it all plays out, but for now I'm kind of forced to wait for the phone to ring.

5. waffles

waffles Companion

Sep 15, 2010

In theory I stay around the house until 12 or so when everything becomes a half day. But this year on days I've actually worked I haven't had to wait past 7. I have to be there at 7:15 or 8:15 so depending on the school 7 is still way earlier then I need to be there.

6. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Sep 15, 2010

I get ready every morning whether I have a job for the day or not. If I don't hear anything by 8:00 am, I assume that no job is going to pop up on Aesop.
    Once in a while, a principal will call because a teacher got sick at school - or the child of a teacher got ill at school or day care and needs to be picked up. If I am able to go in, I certainly do. But, I don't feel bad saying that I can't if I have something else already going on.

7. wuttadeal

wuttadeal Rookie

Sep 15, 2010

Anytime!

I get calls all through the morning. I've gotten many half-day jobs when a teacher has had to leave in the middle of the day for some reason. I've had a few that were just over the cutoff for half day (3.75hrs), so I get paid for a full day, even if I haven't worked that long.

The latest I've ever gotten called was 1:10 at a school that gets out at 2:30--I couldn't get there in time, but otherwise would have taken it b/c I would have gotten the half-day pay for 1 hr. of work. (Not that I mind working the full time, but that's just how our system works here.)

8. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Sep 15, 2010

I have learned to always carry my cell phone with me because I never know when I will be called.

Although it does not happen too often, I have gotten calls as late as noon to work that day. A few times a year, I will get called at 9:30 AM or later.

I learned my lesson last year when I used my land phone to receive calls instead of my cell phone . I went to the bank at 10 AM to discuss an account error with them, thinking it was too late to be called. I got home at 10:38, only to discover I missed a call to work.

I also had missed many calls in the morning when I was in the shower.

If you always have your cell phone with you, you will never have to worry about missing any calls.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 15, 2010

Speaking of the dist having my cell #, I've never given them my cell #. Sure don't want them bugging me if I'm out & about enjoying my day, but they do have my home email. The few people who do hv my cell # know to call my home # FIRST since I only have my cell on when I'm away from home.

I know it may seem like I don't want to work, but I'm pretty blessed to hv consistent long-term assignments that last all yr where I know when/where I'll be, so I don't worry as much about being called on a day-to-day basis.

10. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2010

I was once called at 7:50. But more commonly, late calls come in around 7:30. I stay ready till 8am, then relax and make other plans.