Time-filler activities?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miss J. Pre-K, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Aug 30, 2009

I need materials/activities that the kids can do independently for 10-15 minutes when we're getting ready for the next activity. For example, when they come in the morning, they've been doing puzzles and reading books on the circle rug. I'd like to switch these out every week or two, but what are some other materials/activities I could switch out that wouldn't make a mess or have a lot of pieces dumped out?

3. elliemay

elliemay Rookie

Aug 30, 2009

We use Magna Doodles, practice name writing at a table, drawing pictures with crayons or colored pencils. Last year, I let the children "read around the room" or "write around the room". They could use pointers or clipboards with paper and pencil.

For morning time, we use the same materials as you do but we have also used "community road maps" and play cars, blocks, painting something that we need to dry for a craft, or make-up work.

Hope this helps.

4. Oboemom

Oboemom Rookie

Aug 30, 2009

I put out small white boards with index cards that are labeled with pictures and words. The kids especially like the grocery ad cards. I put a picture of food and the word, then laminate and they make their shopping lists.

I also put out mosaic boards and tiles, manipulatives to count and sort. Also puzzles are good and memory card games.

I change things around every week or so.

5. Love2shop

Love2shop Rookie

Sep 1, 2009

file folder games... pretty easy to make or there are some sites you can download some from...