Tieks

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ChildWhisperer, Sep 19, 2016.

1. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Habitué

Sep 19, 2016

I know there were some of you that were wondering about these shoes.
    I did it.
    I splurged on a pair of Feather Grey Tieks flats.
    Here are my thoughts:

When I first put them on, they were tight and felt small, but I knew they would stretch out and that 7 would be too big. The website even said to size down if you wear halves, unless "you have wide feet or sometimes size up". Well, I never size up. All my shoes are 6.5 or 6, so I got a 6.
    I tortured my feet for 3 days (all happened to be shopping trips, so lots of walking..)
    I wore them to work for the first time last week; They felt comfortable & stretched out enough. My feet felt fine at the end of the day. No blisters or anything. No pain at all.
    So I wore them to work the next day as well.. My thoughts at the end of the day: "I need to sit down!!" The bottoms of my feet were not happy. Maybe the soles need to be broken in too?!
    All in all, no, they are not like walking on clouds. They are NOT any more comfortable than some of my other flats. In fact, I'd say my Toms (black glitter) and my Crocs (gianna bow flats) are MORE comfortable than my Tieks, and they were way cheaper (about $55 and $35 respectively).
    However, I will say though, Tieks feel like they will last a long time, the materials they used to make them feel like high quality, AAAAND the one thing they have over all my other flats is they do not make my feet sweat at all. AT ALL. So.. yay for that!
    In conclusion, will I buy them again? No. Will I keep on wearing them? Yes, but probably not 2 days in a row.

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 20, 2016

I LoVE my Tieks! I have wide feet, so it took a little longer to break them in. I wore thick socks and the shoes around the house for a few hours a day for about a week. I would say to break them in a little more.

4. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Habitué

Sep 20, 2016

I wore them again today, and the soles of my feet are just killing me!

5. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Sep 20, 2016

Thanks for the update! It's so hard to trust reviews lately! I have to say I love my Crocs

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2016

I'm a bit of a shoe fanatic. I rarely feel the need to break in a pair of shoes (and I wear some heels that would make some faint hearted). I've been trying to wrap my head around Tieks prices and to now read two 'reviews' here of the discomfort and need to break in a simple pair of flats, I'm thinking its a pass for me.

ms.irene likes this.
  7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 20, 2016

I've had to break in almost every pair of flats I've bought since I had my oldest child seven years ago. What brand of flats is your favorite? I'm always up for new shoes!

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 20, 2016

Thanks for sharing your review!

I have to break in most new shoes. For the rare pair that I do not, I tend to go out and buy another of the same style as that is such a treat. Having feet that look normal but aren't on the inside makes shoe shopping my least favorite thing to do. I'd rather go swimsuit shopping with bright fluorescent lights and un-air conditioned dressing rooms than shoe shopping!

MsAbeja likes this.
  9. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Sep 21, 2016

I have a pair of Born flats that I adore and that needed no breaking in. They were about $80, so expensive for me. I tried to buy another pair of the same style, but they are discontinued and the next Born pair I bought has this sticky-uppy part in the back that digs into my ankle. I always mean to buy another pair whenever I find something that really works, but I usually forget!

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2016

You're more dedicated to breaking them in than I would be. I abandoned the last pair of "these are supposed to be comfortable" shoes in a hotel room in Halifax, Nova Scotia. They felt perfectly fine in the store, but the blisters they caused after a 10 minute walk through the airport made the decision easy.

11. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Sep 21, 2016

Anyone try Aerosoles?

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2016

I don't really wear too many flats. I might own only two pair outside of flat sandals

13. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 24, 2016

Thanks for sharing this. I wondered about them, but I usually have trouble with very flat shoes like those making the bottoms of my feet hurt. If it happened to you, I know it would happen to me. I need support.

I don't understand the "breaking in" concept either, really - I don't really need to break my Naots in when I get those. They're a bit stiff at first but nothing particularly painful or irritating. I wouldn't have the patience for shoes that need to be broken in.

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 24, 2016

I have one pair. I don't wear them often, because they're a little pinchy for me. (Hard to explain, haha!) However, they're better than most shoes are for me, and I have extremely sensitive, ridiculous feet. I really think they are worth a try.

15. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Habitué

Sep 24, 2016

I really don't understand all the raving reviews out there about these shoes.
    They are definitely not "on my feet for 8 hours" shoes, and most definitely not traveling shoes!!

16. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 24, 2016

I also don't understand the price. I pay that much for Naots, but Naots are a lot more substantial, require no breaking in, and have excellent support. Tieks look like really expensive ballet flats to me.

Don't get me wrong - I love ballet flats. I think they're super cute. I just can't wear them.