Thumb Suckers???

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by TishaTeacher, Sep 3, 2009.

1. TishaTeacher

TishaTeacher Rookie

Sep 3, 2009

Help! This is my 3rd year teaching. The first two were in Kindergarten and I never encountered thumb suckers. This year I switched the 2nd grade and have TWO of them! One of them is a very casual thumb sucker who I think partly does it because he sees the other one. But the other one is awful. She is constantly sucking her thumb (apparently mom has no problem with it at home), and she even rocks in her chair. She is legally blind so I have to have her in the front, and I think the rocking is distracting to the other kids.

I talked to her 1st grade teacher who would put bandaids on her thumb to get her to stop. I guess I will have to do that, but any other suggestions? :dizzy:

3. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2009

It may not be that the mom does not notice but do not know what to do about it. My middle child sucked her thumb until 3rd grade. We did everything from bandaging the hand to spraying the thumb with pepper. We finally had a thumb guard put in her mouth. It was put in by her orthodontist. It is only recommended in extreme cases because the way it fits in the roof of the mouth. She got that at 8 years old and wore it until she got braces in 6th grade and will finally get them off next month at age 18 during her first semester in college.

4. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Sep 6, 2009

I have a child this year that does this, too. She is very vocal and then when she finally gets quiet, she sucks her thumb. One day, she fell asleep and had her thumb in her mouth. She always sucks it when she is in line, too.

5. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 6, 2009

I usually have my kids wash their hands when they suck their thumbs. It gets really old to get up and wash your hands and eventually they stop. This could be a problem if the child is blind though. I explain that their hands are not clean and putting them in their mouth can make them sick. So, I ask them to wash their hands. It is very effective like I said.

6. priyaanka

priyaanka Rookie

Sep 6, 2009

Hey!
    Thumb sucking is very common in childhood.
    Here are some suggestions:
    1-When you notice that she is taking thumb in her mouth, try to divert her mind.
    2-Engage her in an activity that requires she use both hands.
    3-Keep the child's hands occupied with a toy, puzzle or other activity.
    4-Reward the child for not thumb sucking for a progressively increasing time period.

7. jsgirl

jsgirl Rookie

Sep 9, 2009

Can she have gum? Sometimes this can serve as a replacement behavior...you just have to tell the others that everyone has their own needs if they ask and this is something she needs right now for HER success. Also, occupying her hands with a kush ball, piece of velcro, etc. may help. Does your school have an occupational therapist or special education teacher who may have suggestions?