Throwing Out Old Coursework from Credential Program?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by orangepurple, Jul 12, 2018.

1. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Jul 12, 2018

Hi!
    I'm trying to clear out some space here at home. Trying to decide if I can just toss everything from my teacher credential program. Maybe also from induction program? I have a teaching credential and 10 years experience; have resigned and am probably officially retiring...but still keep thinking maybe I would un-retire if I don't like being retired at some point.
    Maybe!
    Many things I like about teaching...but it's an exhausting job. And I can afford to be retired.
    I think at this point I would still keep some of my favorite lessons and materials in case I ever did go back...but throw out all the other stuff. Even if I went back, I'd probably never need anything but the transcript, right?
    I am pretty pathetic about throwing stuff out!

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2018

I don't throw out the kind of material that you are describing. I do, however, keep it in digital format, stored on my Google drive. Doesn't take up any space at all. I save TONS of stuff, basically anything that I can use or create, and the only thing I don't save is the paper I used to use to print out the info.

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 12, 2018

I moved across the country for my first teaching job with what could fit in my car, so I didn't have the luxury of saving any books/work/materials from my undergrad. I honestly never missed it. I can't imagine saving that stuff for 10+ years! Have you regularly used it over the past 10 years? Definitely throw away anything you haven't used for the past couple of years at least.

5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 13, 2018

After 10 years of teaching, I've tossed everything from college... lessons, textbooks, etc. In the education field, it can be considered "outdated" pretty quickly and at this point, I can easily find better lessons or information on what I need by doing a quick Google search or visiting one of my favorite teacher sites. Besides keep official paper work - like transcripts - I say toss the rest.

6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Jul 13, 2018

I'm trying to figure this out too. I'll probably keep the books since they were expensive, but I'm not sure how useful they will be. I might start looking through the coursework papers over the summer and digitizing things that I like, and tossing unnecessary papers.

If I were you, I would digitize your favorite lessons and toss the rest. See if you can sell or donate the books.

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 13, 2018

I recycled most everything after I finished my teaching program. I kept a few things in a binder if I thought that I might refer back to them later, but everything else got thrown out. I have never missed any of it. And, truthfully, I've only looked in that binder once or twice in the last eight years - and, mostly, just to see what was in there.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 13, 2018

I’m a minimalist, so you can bet your bottom dollar I don’t have anything from the teacher credential program. I shudder to think about still having all that stuff.

MissScrimmage and bella84 like this.
  9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jul 13, 2018

I didn't keep anything from my college days because it wasn't actually useful when I was doing it for class, and I didn't think it would be useful in real-life situations either. :rolleyes:

Keep your favorite lessons in digital format, and toss or give away the rest.

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 13, 2018

Picture yourself back when you were a new teacher. Think of all the things you didn't know then, think of how different the standards were, how different your style is, etc. Would you trust that brand new teacher to give you materials? Probably not, right?

11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 14, 2018

Me too! If I don't use something regularly, it has to go! I've been out of the classroom for three years and when I left, I packed up my classroom into 26 large Rubbermaid totes. I purged, had a garage sale and gave items to other teachers. I'm teaching again this fall and I'm itching to go through those bins, but I know I can't throw stuff away until I know what I'm going to use again. Likely, a lot will get pitched at the end of the year.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2018

I had boxes of teaching stuff in the basement for years. Last summer, I tossed everything--didn't even open the boxes. I figured if I hadn't opened them in over 5 years, I wasn't going to miss what was in them.