Thoughts on GoFundMe?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Dec 13, 2017.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Dec 13, 2017

I am an advisor/moderator for a high school group that has qualified to attend an event in Southern CA in two months. The group needs to raise 8k in order to attend (transportation, hotel, entry fees, etc).

What are your thoughts on Go Fund Me? The kids have been fundraising all year long and I'm not sure we can make 8 grand in two months via candy sales, car washes, etc.

I refuse to let this opportunity slip through our fingers. Any advice? Help!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2017

I think it's a valid option. I have donated to GFMs for a variety of causes. Set one up, share it across social media and ask your friends to share it, and see what happens. Can't hurt.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 13, 2017

Would DonorsChoose work? Go fund me takes a percentage I think.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  5. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Dec 13, 2017

I know not everyone cares for it, but I don't mind GoFundMe. Yes, it takes a percentage, but that's because it is a business with overhead costs. They probably have to pay employees. Same with the DonorsChoose fee.

6. janlee

janlee Devotee

Dec 14, 2017

$16,000.00 is a lot of money to attend an event. Is it related to school where it will bring recognition to the school and community? My local Board of Education would often subsidize part of a trip if it was for the benefit of students and school. Have you approached the district?

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Dec 14, 2017

Check with your school board's regulations on fund raising. I tried to do a GFM and was told I needed to take it down for whatever reason. Which was no big deal. I didn't have any money in it after a few days of promoting it. We have certain hoops to jump through in order to raise money.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

Dec 14, 2017

It's $8,500.

District Office won't pay for it as it's not part of the official "sports" program.

9. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Dec 14, 2017

What is it for? Is there any chance that it could possibly become sponsored by a local (or a few local) businesses, especially if there's a connection? (i.e. debate club ==> law offices)

10. YoungTeacherGuy

Dec 14, 2017

The event is held in Anaheim, CA (which is about 5 hours from where I live).

In case you're wondering--no, we're not going to Disneyland. The 8k is strictly for transportation, hotel, entry/registration fees associated with the event, etc.)!

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2017

Could you get local businesses to support you?

When I was in a club in junior high and high school, we always went to a big national event that cost a lot of money. We wrote letters to businesses and asked for donations. We hit up random businesses sometimes, but we mostly targeted businesses where someone in the club had some connection. Like, Mark's dad worked at the grocery store, so we'd ask the grocery store, or Tina's mom worked for Pepsi, so we'd ask Pepsi. We received a lot of donations that way.

12. YoungTeacherGuy

Dec 14, 2017

That's exactly what the kids are currently doing (in addition to the popcorn they're selling as we speak).

I got word yesterday that any type of Go Fund Me fundraisers are no longer allowed by my district.

Last year, we were crowned National Champions in our division, so want to defend our title this year. We will be there in two months...no matter how many cars we have to wash or rummage sales we need to hold. I'm determined.

ETA: Thankfully, most people in the community know that we won the event last year as the local TV station ran the story several times.

13. rpan

rpan Comrade

Dec 14, 2017

When we have had to raise sums of money for competitions we always wrote to our local political representative who represents the area our school is in to ask for money. The students would write a letter and then hand deliver it the office. Hard to say no to children.

Businesses are also more willing to donate goods and services rather than money and you can raffle or silent auction those goods and services.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 14, 2017

Do you think the local station would do a story on the return trip? That would get the word out.