Those who change jobs to go to another district

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ktmiller222, Mar 17, 2017.

1. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Mar 17, 2017

How long did it take you to get a new teaching job in a different district?

I know I should be thankful I have a job but I want out of the district so bad and want to be in a better area. I've been applying everywhere. I made it to two 3rd round interviews last year but they ended up giving the job to someone else. It' like a full-time job looking for a new job. I've been building my resume in recent months to make myself stand out (diff trainings I've attended, etc.) I don't know what else to do

3. anon55

anon55 Comrade

Mar 17, 2017

I think it took me like 4-5 months of going on interviews. Although I did get offered a few before I took one. I think I had like 15 interviews. It was a grueling experience which I don't hope to relive anytime soon.

I figured whenever I'm looking for a job again I'll hire one of those pros who customizes your resume and cover letter. I had a friend who did that and she got great job offers.

One thing I always did was continuously call to ask about when interviews would be, and after the interview I would call and send thank you emails.

If you can tell personal stories in the interview about how you've implemented specific strategies, I think that helps. Don't just say what you do, give specific examples of what you've done.

4. heatherberm

heatherberm Comrade

Mar 17, 2017

I started applying shortly after the school year started, got hired in mid-October, and started in my new district after Thanksgiving. I felt a little bad about leaving during the school year, but I needed to get out of the situation and I think it helped make the process quicker because my current district really, really needed to fill the position. That was the only interview I had but I did send out a ton of applications. I basically applied for every elementary gen ed/special ed position within an hour's drive that I came across for a couple of months. Hang in there! You never know what will grab someone's attention. During my last post-observation, my principal mentioned that one of the things he liked about me was that I took kind of a roundabout path to teaching and because he'd done the same, he understood the pros of that. Obviously, that wouldn't have been the same for every principal. I also off-handedly mentioned in one of the interviews (there were two rounds), that I facilitated an after school engineering club and during that same post-observation meeting he said, "So about that engineering club..." Turns out he'd had that on his mind as something he'd like to implement.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  5. agdamity

agdamity Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2017

Six years. In my district, it's all about who you know, and I had zero connections.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Mar 18, 2017

It took about two weeks from application to contract signing. It could have been longer if there hadn't been a scheduled board meeting.

Make a brochure or something else that uses photos. That always seems to break the ice on interviews.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 18, 2017

Like a pp, I also went on about 15 interviews last time I was searching. I didn't have a recommendation from my current principal at the time, so that really hurt me. Around here, schools will not hire you without talking to your current principal. After all of those interviews and several months of looking, I landed 3 offers in the same week!

I'm currently debating looking for a new position next year. I don't like the direction my district is going in, but unfortunately I think pretty much everyone else is doing the same thing. I do have a fantastic recommendation from my current principal this time, but I also have a Master's and 7 years of experience now. I'm much more expensive than the last time I was looking when I had just a BA and 3 years in. If I do end up looking this year I'll be interested to see how those factors impact me this time.

8. anon55

anon55 Comrade

Mar 18, 2017

some elite districts here don't give credit for more than 5 years experience! Crazy isn't it? I guess they can get away with it because there's a long line to get into such districts and the vast majority of districts in California are less than exemplary.