This makes me upset

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Christine3, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Aug 10, 2007

Hi all,
    I had already gotten my class list in June...as you all know teachers talk about the kids they have in their class. I let one of the second grade teachers take a glimpse at my list. Right away she goes "Oh boy, Carly is a handful and I fought the parents to test her for ADHD." I just replied with "Oh" One of my main rules about the start of new school year is to IGNORE what other teachers have to say about other students and I hope students do the same about me with other students. This teacher particulary scared me, she was saying how this child would run out the door, never sit in her seat, yelling all the time and very hyperactive. I really dislike thinking about this before I even meet her,it is just not fair!
    I spoke with one of my close colleges and she said she heard of the girls name from another teacher...maybe this Carly girl matured over the summer who knows. It made me upset how the teacher put her"I fought the parents to test her for ADHD."

I guess I will have to wait until September 5th to find out for myself.

Were you ever informed about a student and the child acted the complete opposite of what you heard?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2007

It's not always a matter of finding out ahead of time; sometimes kids change from one room to the next.

In last year's crew, I'm thinking about Travis. Travis and the dean very well acquainted.. apparently he got into a lot of trouble for a variety of small offenses.

But in my math class he was all heart. He worked his tail off and was polite and involved; a totally different child than that one I saw in the detention room.

Like you, I make a conscious effort NOT to get the low-down on my kids!

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 10, 2007

I would be sure not to place her by the door just so I could keep track of her. Then again maybe she could be the door keeper and answer the door and be responsible for keeping it closed.

5. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Aug 10, 2007

Thank you both for responding.

Alice, you are 100% right sometimes kids really do change from one room to the next. Some kids just "click" differently with other teachers and maybe with this teacher there was a personality clash.

Hescoll, good thinking that will work. I am seating them alphabetically the first day and her name ends in a B. She will end up in the front anyway, what a coincidence!;)

Thanks again guys.

6. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Aug 10, 2007

That is a great policy. I agree with the others that sometimes it's just how the student and the teacher click. I'd also recommend observing the student closely - I had one horrible experience in the past where a student was never sitting in her seat and extremely distracted... I kept assuming that she was ADHD or just defiant until one day it just didn't seem right & we investigated and found out she was being abused. I pray this is not the case for any child, but sometimes these symptoms are a sign of something else going on and can't just be written off.

7. JenL

JenL Comrade

Aug 10, 2007

i had a similar experience to alice's.
    last year i had a first grader that came back after leaving half way through the year the year before. my teaching partner had her the year before and then i had her when she returned to our school last year. her first run at first grade was terrible...so i hear. very disruptive, odd behaviors, very low academically, bad friendship problems. you name it i heard it about her.
    when she returned to my class last year she had grown up. she was still very low academically but i can deal with that. she did not have any discipline problems and was a joy to have in class. you could tell she loved to learn. of course as she started i had high expectations for her and she knew them. she did very well. this summer she wrote me a heart felt letter about how i helped her return to school and helped her learn.
    every teacher has different experiences with different students. do not judge any student before they come through your door. it is not worth even thinking about. treat her just as you would treat anyone else and have the same expectations. you will find students often rise to the occasion.

8. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 10, 2007

I had Junie B. last year. The other teachers would see her and say "Oh, you have Junie B." I was new to the school, so I did not know all the horror stories and did not want to know them. I am very firm. I just stated my rules and she had to live with them. What I found that worked with her was that she would get mad and throw a fit for the attention. I would just walk up to her and quietly say "You can't do that in my room." And I would gently take her to the door and let her throw the fit in the hall. Since the purpose was to keep her from having an audience, she would have to stand with her foot in the door and the door left open about six inches. The secretary was right across the hall, so she was supervised at all times. About four times and she stopped. She was a joy in class, a little dingy. She looked and acted and talked like Junie B.

9. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 10, 2007

I feel the way you do. Nothing negative before I meet them. I really think kids change over the summer AND with one teacher's style to the next. Maybe you can use this knowledge you now have to be extra dilligent to form a student-teacher bond and understanding with the child.

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 10, 2007

I think sometimes too there are teachers who are not good at creating a cooperative climate in their classrooms and that can lead to child acting out for attention. I had a child in summer school this summer who was almost expelled from the school (in Pre-K) because he would throw these violent tantrums. The teacher told me that the other kids would stand around making fun of him and she would just let them because she was frustrated with him too. Guess what, he just yelled louder. I had him for a month this summer with no aggressive outbursts, he was emotional, but talking to him really worked. Our whole school is under the impression he's a holy terror; I am actually hoping I have him in my class next year.

11. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 10, 2007

I have the kindergarten legend of the school in my room this year!! Everyone says OHHH YOU HAVE HIM?? They talk about how disruptive he is. But then I hear about how his teacher last year let him run around in a superman cape and carry around toys. Once he knows that I do not put up with that in my classroom, then it could change. It's kind of good to know the background of the student, but there won't be any difference in the way I act towards him. The whole class has the same expectations, and it's a clean slate for all of us.

12. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Aug 11, 2007

I am prob. in the minority that I want a heads up on some "above and beyond" issues. I also want to know POSITIVE ways to deal with them though. I told the 2nd grade teacher that "such n such" avoids writing and can have trouble staying on task but if you can get him talking or writing about his baby brother, he will do marvelous things. This is something I would be okay with others telling me about. I want to know how they "click" It is trial and error but if I can get a good start from the beginning, I am all for that. What I don't want to hear is that I have a student and there is nothing I can do about/for him/her. Go ahead and give me the negative but then tell me what worked for you in addressing the concern/behavior.

13. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

I always consider my students to be starting the year with a fresh slate. I do listen when teachers give info on what they like and where their talents lie, but I ignore the "warnings." There have been many kids I've been warned about that were among my faves.

14. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2007

I agree with amedinaoh----> it is nice to have a heads up on things that may be helpful to the student, or to know about a students quirks/parent quirks. I had been warned this year that I have a parent who throws in the racism card & also will come to the school and tell the admin whatever her daughter comes home and tells her (whether it is true or not). That is something I would like to prepare for.

15. jl2teach

jl2teach Rookie

Aug 11, 2007

The only reason I like to have a heads up on particular students, is that right away, the first day, I can be aware and try to work with these students. I also like to make a parent contact early the first week with special ed kids or behavior issue kids. Knowing which students the 1st grade teachers had difficulty with, makes me key into these children quicker. I don't think you assume they are BAD kids, but the sooner you establish a relationship with them, the more successful your year will be. It is not always possible to establish a close relationship with all students the first week.

16. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 11, 2007

I like the heads up academically. It seems like, at my school we know who the major behavioral challenges are without being told. I like to know what works with that child, what was tried, what didn't work for the previous teacher. I think kids behave differently for different teachers. Plus they change over the summer and they may be totally different for me.

So, I listen, make plans & keep an open mind.