This bothers me...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissaG, Jul 26, 2007.

1. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Jul 26, 2007

I don't know why it bothers me so much, but if you look along the right side where the ebay auctions are listed, those Target pocket charts are the highlighted auctions today. I feel very bad that people are buying those things for $4-7 plus $4 for shipping. I guess people need to do their research first, but it bugs me that they are going for that much after being sold in the store for $1. The quality is not that great, someone is going to be disappointed!

3. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2007

I always wonder why someone would by something on e bay that costs more than it would in the store? It does not make much sense to me!! I have only used ebay a few times and it was always to get something that I could not find in a store (out of production or old etc..) or something that was cheaper than the going price in the store....
    One of life's great wonders!

4. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jul 26, 2007

After selling items on eBay a LONG time ago, I began to notice that most of my customers were in extremely rural area that these stores were not in.

They don't mind a "premium" if they don't have to drive 2 hours for it.

Kelly :)

5. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2007

Yeah that bothers me, also saw people were selling the stuff from the Staples 1cent sales, as a lot of school supplies, for $25! :wow:

It seems just a little wrong to me to sell something that cost $2.30 for $25 and by the way the bidding wasn't over yet!

6. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2007

Oh... and ppl selling the dollar tree items for a fortune (the comprehension spinner for over 6.00!) I dislike how people "hide" where they got the items from too (like covering the dollar tree logo, or things like that).

Recently I saw a seller who repackaged the items & tried to sell them as her own. Sent her a lovely email and reported her as well. Don't sell other companies items, and call them your own. BLECH!

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2007

We don't have the same wonderful 1 cent sales as you do--I don't shop on EBay, but some of those lots would be a great deal for me!

8. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 27, 2007

I pounded the pavement yesterday looking for the Office Depot 5 cent folders, I went to 3 different stores, I may be one of those people buying them on ebay!

I agree that it's sleezy to re-sell dollar store/dollar spot items on ebay for a huge fee, but I also agree with Mrs. Mikesell there are some people who live in areas that do not have a WalMart, Dollar Tree, or Target on every corner. Think of our very own Jamie Marie who has no dollar stores within a driveable distance of where she lives.

For example, I am constantly searching ebay for clothing from a store called CJ Banks, it's a plus size women's clothing store that they do not have anywhere near where I live, it's only in certain states and areas. Their clothes are very well made and stylish (my style- not teenage style) and I am willing to pay to get them. Most plus size clothes are poorly made (dress barn)and for grannies only. CJ often has deep discount sales and people will buy the clothing for cheap and sell it for full-price on ebay. I don't mind because I am paying for the convenience. If I had to fly to the nearest CJ and rent a car to get there it would cost me a lot more so I'm willing to pay.

Also, many sellers only list what they paid for the itmes as the starting bid, the seller has no control how high people will bid. I recently listed some cute, discontinued computer monitor covers on ebay. I started the listing at what I paid for them, about $5 each I think and they sold for $17 each!!! I never in my wildest dreams imagined they would sell for that much, so am I a bad guy too? It's up to the buyer to do their homework first imo, what's that saying? Caveat Emptor?

9. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2007

I saw $1 birthday certificates from Target on E-Bay last night for $3.95 plus shipping.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2007

I sell many things on eBay, and agree with vannapk. People are only going to pay what they think the item is worth.

11. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Jul 27, 2007

If people are being swindled, that's wrong. Misrepresentation of the item, covering tags, or lying is definitely bad.

But, if people are willing to pay a good bid for things, that's not wrong! Maybe they don't like to shop at Target or Dollar Tree, and ebay just sends it to your door. Maybe they are like me and have no Target within 150 miles, so its worth it. Or maybe they like a little different thrill of bidding and winning.

Lying bugs me, bidding does not :)

12. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Jul 27, 2007

From the wiki:

Capitalism generally refers to an economic system in which the means of production are all or mostly privately owned and operated for profit, and in which investments, distribution, income, production and pricing of goods and services are determined through the operation of a market economy.

This is the basic system that our country was founded on. I used to own a business. You must buy low and sell high. There is nothing wrong with people making a profit. If your price is too high people will not buy it.

13. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 27, 2007

It's hard to say why they are buying them. Maybe they have looked and looked and can't find what they need. Maybe ebay is their last hope. It's deceitful on those that are doing it's part but, unfortunately, it happens. But, as someone said, maybe they do live further away from a store where those things are sold and it is worth it to them to pay the extra for shipping and such. Gas prices are high these days not to mention the time in which it may take to get there.

14. mhcooley

mhcooley Companion

Jul 27, 2007

I agree. I bought my daughter a pack of board nursery rhyme books. I think they came 6 in a pack for $3.00 or less. People on e-bay were buying each individual book for $6.00 or more. I wonder if they think things are different because the pictures are misleading?

15. hbdb

hbdb Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

Where did you find these at target? What section? The dollar bins?