Third grader wearing high heels

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Resentful, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Dec 2, 2012

Another thread got me thinking about something I saw at my school a bit ago, but didn't give any thought to it since. I had to go into a third grade class for some paperwork during a prep. Anyway, I saw a girl in high heels. :eek: The teacher didn't seem to mind. So, I didn't make a stink about it. I called my mom later that day and it came up. She really was poed about it. What do you guys think of s third grader wearing high heels?

3. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Dec 2, 2012

Totally not appropriate. Plus, it's a safety hazard. There should be something in the dress code about "appropriate footwear".

We recently had a sixth grader in snakeskin platform pumps. The platform had to be at least 3-4 inches high, and the heels were sky high stilettos. They looked like the type of shoes Lady Gaga would wear. I reported it to the principal and the girl had to change her shoes.

4. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Dec 2, 2012

I have noticed this A LOT recently. Even younger students are wearing heels, tall boots with heels or wedges, and just generally completely ridiculous footwear.

5. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 2, 2012

I also have noticed a lot of younger students wearing heels and wedges. I don't like it, but I've usually let it go unless they had PE that day or they weren't able to walk correctly in them. If it looked like they were going to get hurt, then I would say something.

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Dec 2, 2012

I don't think it's a big deal at all. Here in CR I see tons of crazy club wear being worn by younger girls... to *church*.

We have bigger battles to fight.

7. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Dec 2, 2012

The kindergarten students wearing their short and sexy sweater dresses (but I won't go there—well, I kind of just did, but I digress...) and stumbling around like Bambi in their fancy shoes would NOT make it out in good time and safely for any of our frequent emergency drills.

Common sense, parents...common sense. :huh:

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 2, 2012

We wear uniforms, but honey when they are allowed to dress up for a program or something--you definitely see heels, even on the 5-year olds (make-up too :rolleyes:)!

I would be worried if it was something they did a lot that it would mess up the muscles in their feet-I know adults with that issue.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2012

My daughter is in 3rd grade and has worn little kitten heels to school before. I would never let her wear anything higher than that though.

10. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Dec 2, 2012

Last week I saw a first grader wearing some wedge sandals that looked like something a 20 year old would wear.

11. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Dec 2, 2012

Isn't that dangerous for growth at their age?

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 2, 2012

Same here with the school uniforms. I've seen some 3rd grade students with school shoes that have heels. Not a high heel, more like a 2" heel.

13. physteach

physteach Companion

Dec 2, 2012

Basically this. If the kid isn't in danger of getting hurt because of shoes (and if the shoes are dress code), it isn't my business.

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2012

I have a student that wears glittery heels regularly. They are less than an inch high and the only annoying part is that she sometimes clicks her heels on the floor while I'm trying to teach. She has appropriate footwear for gym and recess, so I don't really mind.

15. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Aficionado

Dec 2, 2012

I think very low heels, 1 inch or lower are perfectly fine. Very high heels are probably not safe, and if they look too sexy are not appropriate either.
    I guess it's up to the teacher and the school whether to fight that battle or not. I haven't really seen very high heels on students, not even in middle school when I subbed there. Most of the girls seemed to be into boyish stuff, like wearing jeans, Converse and a T shirt. When they wore heels, they were ok.
    Maybe times have changed :(

16. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Fanatic

Dec 2, 2012

I don't see any of my kids wearing high heels at school and I teach HS so that is a little weird to me. However, I wouldn't make a fuss about it as long as she had proper shoes for PE and she was able to walk in them okay. Obviously, it should also be within the dress code.

17. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Dec 2, 2012

I see it all the time, and we don't really have a dress code, so whatever goes.

If I see an issue, I casually say to the child, that they maybe shouldn't wear those shoes again because _____.

Only shoes I've ever seen the principal call home about were the boys who wore football cleats to school.

18. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Dec 2, 2012

It upsets me to see little girls wearing heels and makeup. :(

19. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Dec 2, 2012

We have uniforms as well, but like another poster said, when they dress up, it's "Katie bar the door" lol. They mimic what they see the adults wear - micro skirts, spandex leggings, crop tops, heels, makeup, you name it. It's what they see, learn and are given at home.

20. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Dec 2, 2012

It is funny because I just spoke with my husband about this over the weekend. I have two kindergarten students who are cute as a freaking button, but they dress "sexily" on a regular basis and it really bothers me. It's obviously all a matter of opinion, but it disturbs us both. Of course, it's not just a pair of "grown up" shoes every now and then....much more than that.

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 3, 2012

Sure is quiet here now. I think most of us understood it to be that Resentful wasn't complaining solely about this topic to her mom. They were having a general conversation & the topic came up, in which her mother was probably frustrated to hear about things like that. My mom would be too.

Well, many parents today don't let their kids be kids anymore & it's really sad. Girls have from ages 16 to probably 60 something yrs of age to wear heels. They're not trying to impress the boys already...I hope! :mad: Well, these days, probably so. Plus, like Mike said, the health problems from wearing them this young will probably occur I'm sure.