Thinking on moving to Jr. High. Talk me out of it...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Mar 23, 2013.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Mar 23, 2013

Ha. There might be an opening. I'm in 4/5 combo class right now. There's many pros and cons to both staying and moving. Biggest draws for moving; better pay, more PD, collaboration, no combo, 20 minutes less commute (and gas). Draws for NOT moving; small, friendly school, nice kids, family atmosphere, little pressure, I can teach my way.

How do I know if I can even handle 7th and 8th graders? HELP...

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Mar 23, 2013

Wait...would you be moving to a new district or just a different school? If you'd be leaving for a different district, would you be okay with starting over as a Prob 1 teacher?

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Phenom

Mar 23, 2013

It's no picnic. I can tell you that. I am always physically and emotionally drained from dealing with the immaturity of middle schoolers and their parents sometimes. You have to be prepared to constantly have high expectations for your students, but constantly expect to be disappointed because this is not a development period known for their maturity and mettle.

I know it's my first year and all, but after the incident that happened yesterday, I am seriously contemplating leaving teaching. I'm tired of my mental well-being and my occupation being subject to the whims and accusations of immature students.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Mar 23, 2013

I always tell myself that if I could survive my one year stint at the middle school level (last year), I can get through pretty much anything!

You definitely won't find me teaching middle schoolers ever again. EVER! Most difficult year of my entire life. :dizzy:

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Mar 23, 2013

Peregrin--as opposed to leaving teaching, sounds to me like you'd be better suited for high school perhaps? I did my student teaching in a Jr. High, and had classroom management issues. Now at the high school the only behavior problem that I ever have to deal with is those **** cell phones. It's so much better.

7. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Mar 23, 2013

I taught middle school for six years...for the most part I really enjoyed it. They're not as "precious" as elementary little ones, but they are special and exciting in their own ways.

Have you ever worked, subbed, or observed at the middle school level?

8. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 23, 2013

You never know if you don't try!

I moved from 3rd to 6th and don't regret anything.

9. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Mar 23, 2013

Subbed? Never. Worked? No. Observed? Yes, a few times, a friend's class. This would be a new district, same town. A cohort is trying to talk me into it a little. She loves it.

10. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Mar 23, 2013

I love love LOVE Middle School, but could never do Elementary. I can handle High School, but lately I've had a rough time subbing in HS. It's really an individual preference I suppose. Yes, they are hormonal, drama-filled, and sometimes get on your last nerve, but there is something special about middle schoolers that I just adore that I do not get in high school.

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 23, 2013

I loved 8th grade last year. I would move down but I also love my sophomores.

12. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Mar 23, 2013

I love middle school! It's not for the faint of heart, but I love the unique personalities that you find in a middle school class. Middle schoolers can give you some great class discussions, because they're right at the start of developing their own viewpoints, morals and beliefs. I like being a mentor and guiding them in navigating life, as well as inspiring them to learn.

13. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Mar 23, 2013

Just realize if you change it will feel like a career move. The differences between grades 4-5 and junior high are quite large.

14. Picabo

Picabo Rookie

Mar 23, 2013

I teach at a TK-8. When my principal told me last year that I was moving from 6th to 7th, I couldn't believe it. Two weeks into the new school year, I was convinced I'd be putting in for a transfer to anywhere else for the 2013-2014 year if I couldn't go back to elementary. Now, I can't imagine teaching anything else but middle school. I love middle school and all of the crazy things that come with it. I've taught K, 2nd, 5th, and 6th, and this year in 7th has been the best year yet. Try it! You might love it.

15. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Mar 24, 2013

Not a fan of middle school.

16. geoteacher

geoteacher Cohort

Mar 24, 2013

The age can be crazy - lots of drama and kids who don't do work. That being said, what I love about middle schoolers is that they are actually able to debate things in a logical way, and I can joke around with them - and they actually get it!

17. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Mar 24, 2013

Like what? Can you be more specific? I'd love more details.

18. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 24, 2013

This!!!!

They're almost real people. :D They have opinions and things. It's cool to make them think.

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Mar 24, 2013

I never thought I'd teach middle school. I am certified for high school. I heard awful things about middle school, and I didn't like it as a student.

I went there involuntarily after my high school job was no longer available. I wanted to stay in the district.

They're a challenge, but I can't imagine doing anything else. I've taught middle school exclusively for 17 years.

20. HeartDrama

HeartDrama Connoisseur

Mar 24, 2013

I was so angry when I found out I was being placed in a middle school for my student teaching and I ended up loving it. The 7th graders are WAY more immature than the 8th graders, but they all still have a special place in my heart.

BTW, Let me know what school you're leaving and I'll be sure to drop off my resume!

21. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Mar 24, 2013

This is encouraging. Challenging must be an understatement. Are most of you talking about public school? Because I am talking about public school, just to be clear. Private schools might be different; smaller classes, parents who offer more support.