Thinking about writing and want some anecdotes and thoughts

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tchr4vr, May 25, 2016.

1. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

May 25, 2016

Hey all,

I have been toying with the idea of writing something--a blog, book, extended essay (not sure what yet) about things that I wish I had realized when I first started teaching almost 20 years ago. I have tons of my own, but I would love some other examples, and of course, your permission to use them--names of course will be changed--

I couldn't sleep last night and started jotting down some notes. Nothing may come of it, but thought I need a project.

3. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 25, 2016

You know what they say, write what you know and base off your own experiences. :)

4. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

May 26, 2016

Good Luck! May have a limited audience, but who knows; it may become a best seller!
    I wish I'd realized that:
    • Finding a balance between school work and private life would be more difficult than I'd ever imagined.
    • I'd be forever scarred by some of the mean spirited kiddos
    • I'd be forever grateful I had the opportunity to meet so many great kids
    • Perfection is not required as part of teaching: Decorations such as borders don't have to be perfectly aligned, my answers don't have to be perfect (I am allowed to make mistakes but need to correct them ASAP), writing on the board does not have to be perfectly level, handwritten tables, lists, etc. are perfectly fine.
    • Summer is not all about doing whatever you want; you have to plan family time/vacations around PD, cleaning up files, and planning for the new year.

5. ijeccsmartin5

ijeccsmartin5 New Member

May 29, 2016

this is great you want write something , of course you have to give it a try , good luck.

6. fjaravata

fjaravata Rookie

Jun 1, 2016

My wife, who is a 3rd grade teacher and 17 year vet, and I are in the same boat. With a combined 35 years of teaching experience, we have a lot of thoughts to share with each other and with other teachers.

As I procrastinate a lot when trying to write the "perfect essay/blog post," we decided have a podcast. It is more casual and we can go on relevant tangents. We even interview other teachers and find out their big challenges, their Ah-ha, Ta-da, and Oh-Snap moments. Priceless gems.

So, basically I'm saying that I'm all for it for you to write your book, share your story and your experiences. I think its important to do so and be and amazing teacher! Can't wait to hear/read your story!