Think I might hate teaching...

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by eri444, May 1, 2011.

1. eri444

eri444 Rookie

May 1, 2011

I'm counting down the days till the summer.... It can't come soon enough.

I'm finishing up my first year of teaching secondary mathematics.
    Here's the background of my situation:
    -I love my colleagues - they make me look forward to going to work each day
    -I love my administration- they are so supportive and understanding
    -I love my salary - believe it or not, I work on a public school in Long Island and I get paid very very well
    -I love my school district - I teach in a school district in an affluent neighborhood, and the resources they are able to provide me have been outstanding compared to some of the horror stores I have seen.
    -I'm in a probationary track position in arguably one of the hardest hiring markets and in one of the worst economic times for education

Anyway, sounds great, right? Well I'm starting to think I wasn't made to teach. I can't stand the kids sometimes - I never thought I would actually dislike a 12 year old, but I legitimately have students who I cannot stand, and I hate saying that. I cannot control a classroom for the life of me despite all of the advice I have taken and used from here, my administrators, my colleagues. I put so much work into my lessons, yet the kids just do not care. I have 2 classes where I literally do 39 minutes of yelling and 1 minute of instruction. The kids get nothing out of it - if the Superintendent walked into one of these classes, I'd probably get fired.

I have a 2nd Bachelor's in Finance and I'm thinking of going back to Corporate America (I live in NY) because I'm starting to hate teaching.... I know it's normal, and I know that 50% of all teachers quit before their 5th year, but I don't see how much longer I can hold out - I feel my blood pressure increasing by the day. :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

How about taking some professional development in classroom mgt this summer?

NYSUT offers affordable classes. See if there's a classroom/behavior management class being offered near you. Kagan classes are good..NYSUT features them sometimes.

One year is not enough to make a decision. Hone your skills and try again...you have a much better situation than many teachers...don't give up yet.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 1, 2011

I agree with Czacza, and 1st years are really tough, so this is all normal. But, some people really are not meant to teach. I say try another year, see how you do, but if you still feel this way, you might want to pursue an area that will be more gratifying for you.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

Okay, now is not the time to decide. Give yourself the end of the school year. See if you get energized thinking about next year. If you do, teaching might just be for you yet. If you don't, find another career that you'll love. Don't stay with teaching just to stick it out.

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 1, 2011

classroom management classes... great idea. It really is.

7. Ethel989

Ethel989 Rookie

May 1, 2011

I'm thinking you can't stand some of the students because your days are filled with the stress of out-of-control classrooms...I agree with the others, it would be good to see if you like teaching once you figure out some of the behavior stuff. I think that is totally clouding the actual teaching part for you right now. Kagan is good, and CHAMPS...you could even treat these last few weeks as 'experiments' with different classroom management ideas.

8. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

May 1, 2011

Take some classroom management classes. You need to improve on your classroom management skills if you're spending '39 minutes of yelling'.

9. eri444

eri444 Rookie

May 1, 2011

I do know that classroom management is most definitely my area of weakness, and I want you to know that despite my "39 minutes of yelling," I do know that that is not the answer. I am going to look into some classes for the summer because the books do not help me. I have read at least 15 books that some of my colleagues really feel so terrible for me because of how hard I am trying. I am really trying to make it work. I am fortunate that I have another degree, but I am using that as a very last resort.

Part of the problem was the first impression I had given off, which was the "nice, young, new teacher." I was way too nice and relaxed in the beginning, and now, though I have gotten much stricter (not meaner, but stricter) throughout the year, the students still do not respond as well as if I had started that in the beginning.

My biggest fear is that I am teaching 7th-grade next year, and I teach most of the 6th-grade now. I feel like I'm not going to get that fresh start that other 2nd year teachers are able to get with a brand new set of kids who have not met me yet.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 1, 2011

Maybe it's the grade that isn't working well for you. Perhaps a change in grade might make a world of difference.

11. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

May 7, 2011

My first year gave me a lot of challenges. I am obviously weak in classroom management because IT IS MY FIRST YEAR! I read lots of management books, but it takes practice. This has also been quite a year for our grade level. Some years the climate of your classroom is changed by some "little stinkers", and this was a tough year for me in that department. I would see what a 2nd year is like. There have been moments this year when a few of my students have really infuriated me. I think it's something a teacher goes through.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 7, 2011

Whole Brain Teaching could be helpful - and it involves videos, and it's (mostly) free, or was the last time I checked. The Web site is http://www.wholebrainteaching.com, but Google the term "whole brain teaching" as well, because this will bring up links to some of the wealth of videos on YouTube.

13. cmw

cmw Groupie

May 7, 2011

:hugs: The first year (or two) are always difficult. Maybe you need a different age level or different setting (more rural or more urban etc..). You'd be amazed at how different schools can be. I taught (well tried to at least) in one district. ;) I was lucky enough to get a new job this year. The difference is night & day. I can actually teach the lessons I work so hard to create. Instead of every period being rough I have rough days now and then (usually not from student issues). Also my new rough days are nothing in comparison to my old ones. I also think some people can handle tough schools better. I am not one of those people. I would let the issues eat me up inside. There is hope for you! :D

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 7, 2011

I remember being told when I was job hunting and interviewing at an out-of state district that they wanted me to guarentee them at least 3 years. They said that you would spend the first 2 years adjusting to a new state and to actually teaching. The 3rd year is when you could determine if you really like teaching.

I think that is very true. You learn so much the 1st year or 2 of teaching. It's too early to decide if teaching is for you or not!

15. Daskalos

Daskalos Rookie

Mar 11, 2012

Why do so many people say try another year or two? I think if someone is sure then they should do what makes them happy. Life is too short to "give it another year or two"

16. lilune

lilune Rookie

Apr 22, 2012

So what happened this year? Still teaching? Better year?

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2012

The OP has been back...seems she was having a better time of it this year.

18. smeraldo

smeraldo Rookie

Apr 29, 2012

People suggest this because many times it is not teaching that the person dislikes but the art of classroom management. I HATED my first year of teaching, classes out of control - judgmental co-workers - parents trying to dictate the curriculum - and found my second year to be MUCH better. If I made the choice to leave teaching last year (my 1st year) I would have made a mistake. I always hated my professors saying "Don't smile till December" but it's true. Lay down the expectations/rules 1st class and stick to them as much as you can, especially if you are a young female teacher.

19. mrk1

mrk1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2012

That makes sense. Looking back I do remember the younger teachers tended to have a more wild classroom than those belonging to older women or men. Very interesting, I never noticed it until now. :)

20. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Apr 29, 2012

Yep, it's something I've discussed with every student teacher and mentee I've had who was a young woman, particularly those short in stature. It's not fair, and it's not right, but it's a fact that a 260-pound man (me) in his sixties makes a different initial impression on kids than a petite young woman does. It is a fact, though, which you can leave bobbing in your wake with enough will and technique.

Being attractive, by the way, can make it worse. I don't have that problem either. :huh: