They won't press charges? I hope she sues!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AmyMyNamey, Jan 9, 2018.

1. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Jan 9, 2018

readingrules12 likes this.
  3. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Jan 9, 2018

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  4. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jan 9, 2018

I've been to recent meetings where superinendent's salary was in question. I was amazed at how teachers in the district verbally attacked the super, to where I*almost* felt sorry for him. Never was any inclination of police force there. In another instance though (during a protest of the same issue), the adminstration purchased some rent a cops and with the seeming intent of intimidating the teachers.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  5. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Jan 10, 2018

I saw this on facebook and I am still shocked that this happened. Arrested for asking a question?? She should definitely sue the cop and/or the school board.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 10, 2018

This came up over dinner last night. My husband watched the footage (I did not) and was in shock. We both agree that she probably has every lawyer in her parish calling her with an offer of representation.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2018

That video was horrifying. She didn't seem out of control or belligerent or anything, at least based on what was there in the video. I would like to say that I can't believe it happened, but these days this type of violent response to a nonviolent issue is getting more and more commonplace.

8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Jan 10, 2018

Why are people allowed to vote for their own salary increases? If given the opportunity, people will vote for a raise every time if they are the beneficiary of it.

I’ll never understand how superintendents are not satisfied with making $200k+. When is enough, enough?

Also, I totally think that teacher should file a lawsuit against the district. She definitely has a case against the school board and the rent-a-cop that threw her to the ground and handcuffed her. Resisting arrest? Please.

svassillion and XWordHobbyist like this.
  9. XWordHobbyist

XWordHobbyist Rookie

Jan 10, 2018

The "resisting arrest" really got to me. Sure, attempt to arrest her when she's not committing a crime, then when she won't go because she's not committing a crime, call that a crime and arrest her for it...

AmyMyNamey and futuremathsprof like this.
  10. Kindergally

Kindergally Rookie

Jan 10, 2018

Unless there have been fights in the past, its crazy to me that a school board meeting would even have cops there to begin with! I teach in one of the largest counties in the country and we don't even have cops at ours. We are valued as professionals, not viewed as being possible criminals. That school system should be mortified!

AmyMyNamey and Backroads like this.
  11. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Jan 10, 2018

The husband works in security and, yeah, his company has been hired out for "just in case this goes south" events.

Her "behavior" wasn't even close to red flag, according to him.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  12. svassillion

svassillion Companion

Jan 10, 2018

I was hoping this would get posted about. Watching it all I could think was "You go girl!". Thinking about it now, this may have been the next best thing to happen behind the school board actually having the respect for the teachers to not vote for this raise. If she wasn't handcuffed this would never have went viral and that school board's totalitarian actions would never have been exposed to people outside of that room. Now the whole country knows how they deal and hopefully new board members will get voted in next election. Hopefully this can make communities country-wide question what their school board is voting on.

13. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 15, 2018

Were we watching the same video...

She wasn’t following decorum of the board meeting (though these geniuses didn’t seem like they were operating under Robert’s Rules of Order). She made her statement, then got up to make the same statement again. The officer asked her to stop disrupting the meeting and she ignored his instructions. He then removed her from the room, something else happened not on camera, then she was in cuffs.

The officer did not violate her civil rights. Her first amendment rights were respected as she spoke a full allotment of time.

Again I ask, did we watch the same video? I support the message, not the messenger.

14. a2z

a2z Maven

Jan 15, 2018

We also do not know what happened in the hall prior to filming again. The film doesn't follow her from the meeting into the hallway. Filming starts again after escalation. I'm not saying that the teacher was in the wrong in the hall, just that we do not know.