Thematic unit for the Gold Rush

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by RSMY, May 15, 2007.

1. RSMY

RSMY Rookie

May 15, 2007

Hi Everyone,

I'm a student teacher who needs to teach and create a Thematic Unit. Any ideas or suggestions of how I can apporach.

3. hipteachergirl

hipteachergirl Companion

May 15, 2007

Question: How long do you have until this needs to be created? You can do it really quickly and not very thoroughly or it can take a while and be amazing.

4. RSMY

RSMY Rookie

May 15, 2007

Well, I need it quickly and it needs to be a 10 day thematic lesson. Thanks for any help you can give me.

5. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

May 16, 2007

One of the things I did to start the gold rush was to hide gold-covered chocolate coins in the yard outside my room. Then I told one student at recess that there was a prize outside the door and after they discovered what was there, they could tell another student or keep all of them for themselves. It usually caused quite a "gold rush" of its own! It was a great way to show how things snowballed and how the word spread.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 16, 2007

Break it into subjects and brainstorm how you can relate information to that subject.
    Math - distances travelled, amount of money made, price per weight/size
    Social studies - timeline, where people travelled from, what happened to the families they left
    Science - how does gold form,
    LA - make brochures to encourage people to move, write letters to family back home from the perspective of someone who followed the gold rush
    If all else fails, find a lot of good trade books and develop ideas from there.
    Children of the Gold Rush by Claire Rudolf Murphy and Jane G. Haigh
    The Bite of the Gold Bug: A Story of the Alaskan Gold Rush by Barthe DeClements and Dan Andreasen

7. deb4kids

deb4kids Rookie

May 21, 2007

For resources, try:
    museumca.org/goldrush/index.html
    learncalifornia.org
    cahistory.net

I like to do a literature unit based on the ethnic groups that traveled to CA. I use books like Coolies, Hurry Freedom, etc (there are lots to choose from). I also use as a read aloud By The Great Horn Spoon. It is a great read, really funny, and the kids love it.