The Walkout and Quiz Grades

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by TrademarkTer, Mar 3, 2018.

1. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 6, 2018

Why? This is the reality we are living in.

2. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 6, 2018

You accused TradeMark of not caring about the lives of students. That's a low blow.

a2z likes this.
  3. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 6, 2018

No, I did not. I asked whether he expected the students to care more about the quiz than their safety.

phillyteacher likes this.
  4. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 6, 2018

In fact, the OP specifically said he supports the protest. What is in question is not his support of the protest, but the message he would send by penalizing them for not letting them make up the quiz.

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 6, 2018

I would reexamine how you wrote that.

6. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Mar 7, 2018

I agree with others who have said that if the point of the quiz is to demonstrate mastery of material, they should be able to retake by scheduling time at your (the teacher's) convenience, whether that be lunch or whatever. That sounds like it's consistent with other absences.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    mathmagic and Backroads like this.
  7. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 7, 2018

OP, if you misunderstood my point and took it as a personal attack, I sincerely apologize. I hope you understood that my comment comes from a place of honest fear and frustration, which I did not mean to take out on you.

Backroads likes this.
  8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Mar 7, 2018

I'm at an elementary school, so it's not quite the same... However, our district-wide policy (which includes the high school) is that all students wanting to participate will be allowed to do so without discipline or penalty. This comes straight from the superintendent. At our building, all instruction will stop for that 17 minute time period and students will participate in kindness/character activities. Those wanting to walk out (who have parental permission) will be allowed to do so (with staff supervision). At the secondary level, parental permission is not necessary in order for students to walk out. Giving a quiz during that time wouldn't be allowed in my district.

9. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Mar 7, 2018

Thanks for the feedback everyone. As it turns out, the two snowdays we already had this week, and the potential third snowday tomorrow have forced me to change the schedule anyway so that it is no longer an issue. Mother Nature made the decision for me.

10. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 7, 2018

Same here -- we just got notice form the super that as long as no behavior issues occur during that time, no disciplinary infractions will be issued.

Again, if they blow off class after the 17 minutes -- that's a different story!

11. Janeway

Janeway Rookie

Mar 9, 2018

Unless their opinion was racist, homophobic, sexist, or pure evil then yes, I absolutely mean it. I teach middle school and most are not exactly aware of the larger world around them yet. I am a hard core liberal and if I had students that cared enough to organize a protest for something that is hard core conservative, I'd be happy to help them get it done. Having an opinion is what matters and it's up to us to teach them how to use it.

Backroads and MissCeliaB like this.
  12. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Mar 9, 2018

If this a school-directed/approved event, then you may be required to make alternate arrangements. However, if this is not planned by the school/district and the students dictated this even, then it is class cutting. Class cutting can result in suspension, forfeiting course credit, detention, and write-up. A zero on a quiz seems appropriate.