the rollercoaster that is kindergarten...

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by teacherhoosier, Sep 24, 2010.

1. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Sep 24, 2010

Part of the joys and frustrations of a kindergarten are the up and down days you have..Take my week for instance-Monday was a great day, had a sub on Tuesday, and when I came back, the rest of the week has been a struggle..not horrible, but not what I've seen from them before..It's my first year teaching k, and switching from a being a math lab aide in a 7th grade classroom to kindergarten has been an adjustment to say the least..I struggle daily asking myself if what I expect from them is too high for them to reach..my principal and literacy coordinator say I am doing a good job and have come a long way since school started in implementing the balanced literacy program my district has and in discipline, but I still wonder if I'm making the right decisions-I guess the worrier in me is coming out..:confused:

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 24, 2010

I think it's normal to question what you're doing. If others are supporting you, I'm sure you're doing great. :)

My kids were fantastic the past few weeks, but they were little wiggly worms this week. We hardly accomplished anything!

4. backtoK

backtoK Rookie

Sep 24, 2010

The first 6-10 weeks are the hardest part of teaching K. I usually question myself as to why I want to do this. Once they get rolling (usually late October, early Nov.) I really do enjoy it.
    Hang in there. Keep doing what your doing and remember that you are not alone.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  5. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Sep 24, 2010

I worry constantly too. Sometimes I feel like im not doing enough and that I'm pushing the kids to hard or to little... My week was a roller coaster as well. But I think I have figured out something that will work for my prek/k combination class.

I have so much work to put out on the shelves... and the pressure from parents can be a bit overwhelming at times... all I can say is hang in there! Thats what I'm doing.

6. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Sep 25, 2010

Thanks for the encouraging comments everyone..I feel a lot better now..sometimes you just get into a bit of a funk after a not so great day...but I'm over it and ready to start planning the next week..

7. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 25, 2010

Ahh, I had a sub on Thursday and my kids were out of control yesterday! Keep in mind that there was a full moon on Thursday as well, and I really do think this makes a difference.
    Just the fact that you are questioning how you are doing shows that you are doing a good job because you are evaluating yourself! Give it a few weeks...it gets easier!

8. backtoK

backtoK Rookie

Sep 26, 2010

Totally forgot about the affects of the full moon...

9. Jazzy*Jai

Jazzy*Jai Rookie

Sep 29, 2010

Oh my! This is exactly how I feel..my week has been crazy. I feel like my kids aren't doing enough, I feel like I'm not pushing them enough, I feel like they are bored during whole group...I just feel like I'm drowning.
    I'm at a new school, I was a late hire, I started a month after school started and I still feel like I'm survivng. I have no curriculums to teach from, my interactive board is broke, and I have little support.
    I don't know what to do