The removal of one student...?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by RussianBlueMommy, Feb 1, 2019.

1. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Feb 1, 2019

Has anyone else noticed how one student being absent/removed can change the entire class? Does anyone have a student like that? I do, he is mouthy, rude, disrespectful, etc and everyone follows suit. He is gone today, and the entire class has been peaceful and working. Is there a name for this phenomena? LOL.

MrTempest likes this.
  3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 1, 2019

My student like that moved to another district last week. It's been blissful peace since then!

MrTempest likes this.
  4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2019

I have a couple every year. They aren't necessarily ones who are loud or disrespectful, but they do change the energy in the room.

5. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Feb 1, 2019

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    MrTempest likes this.
  6. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Feb 1, 2019

Oh yes...it's called group dynamics :) I had one student join a class after the winter break. The class had been very disruptive and unruly, but when this student joined us, the whole group suddenly fell in line. Turns out he was a local gang member who had just been released from juvenile hall, and the so-called "tough" kids were all scared straight :(

Geologygirl and Leaborb192 like this.
  7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Feb 1, 2019

ms.irene likes this.
  8. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Feb 1, 2019

It was years ago at a different school, but it did teach me the importance of having the "alpha" kid on your side.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Feb 1, 2019

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 1, 2019

Oh yes, one student can definitely change the class dynamics. I had this happen all the time. Because I teach alternative ed, our turnover is extremely high. WE get expelled youth throughout the year, and then some are allowed back in district for 2nd semester, then we have kids get locked up and released. I had entire awesome classes turned bad because we lost 3 students and got 4 more and 2 of them changed things around. I also had bad classes turn good because we were able to rearrange the schedule and change some kids around, got new ones, etc.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 1, 2019

The group dynamics, coupled with a personal interaction with one or two students can be remarkable. I have found that a single student who drives certain teachers up the wall may be a god-send for other teachers and classes. When teachers talk about these students, if you are the one who finds them an asset in the classroom, other staff look at you like you have suddenly grown a second head. I have come to the conclusion that the teachers who hate or love these students can often not give a reason for the emotion, but it does affect the entire class.

Geologygirl, MathGuy31 and Aces like this.
  12. MathGuy31

MathGuy31 Rookie

Feb 2, 2019

Yes! I happened last semester and the class was much better. It's true for the educational learning environment to have those removed who cause trouble. My dad ran a business and a few certain customers that caused drama were removed and not called back. Schools should have a real life sense and some people are not allowed. When I used to work for a grocery store, my boss told a few customers to leave and not come back. Yes, we are taking a risk, but certain people should be allowed in certain environments.

13. MathGuy31

MathGuy31 Rookie

Feb 2, 2019

Even though we should try to help each and every student the best we can, certain students don't belong in our classes and should be removed. Some students will cause the entire class to be off or disrupted and it's not fair to any of our students. I wish the "no child left behind" act would be amended and changed.

14. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Feb 6, 2019

If a student is being blatantly disruptive and I am unable to redirect him or her, I have no qualms about having the principal remove them for the remainder of class.

15. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 6, 2019

I would hope you are documenting all actions in great depth, so that there can be serious consideration of testing the child may need going forward. That is your obligation as the teacher. Otherwise, it may appear that you have classroom management issues. The documentation puts you firmly on the side of the school trying to help a potentially troubled student. Just a thought. . .

16. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Feb 6, 2019

Boat loads of documentation!!

17. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 6, 2019

Just curious - is he this disruptive in all classes?

18. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Feb 6, 2019

Every single one except PE.

19. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 6, 2019

And how often has his case been presented to the Child Study Team for evaluation? If teachers are going to the CST with loads of data, across all subjects, there should be some things that they should be trying that might help. That said, at the very least, I would think the parents would want to know why their child is unable to stay in class and receive an education. Have you spoken to them in conferences where the disruption in their son's education is the focus? Saying it disrupts others in the class may be true, but is not likely to get them on board with the idea of having the CST do some testing. If you can get them to that point where they formally request the testing, CST will then be on the clock to get tests done and make recommendations about strategies going forward. It would be what would most likely help this student.