The one thing you wish you could tell your principal

Discussion in 'General Education' started by WindyCityGal606, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Teacher 218

Teacher 218 Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

I would tell my principal thank you for being so incredibly supportive of everything we do as teachers. She has gone to bat for us more times than most of us even know. She is truly the buffer between us and the admin in the ivory tower. She has made so many great things happen for us; I feel really bad for anyone who doesn't have a good positive leader at the helm that treats teachers with the respect that we all deserve and the equality that we have earned.

2. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 21, 2007

I would tell mine to worry more about our curriculum and less about the teachers all being buddy-buddy.

3. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 21, 2007

I would tell him that he is a great principal and I know that he means well. He has the best interest of the students and us in his heart. However, there are times that he forgets (he is getting better though) to give praise where it is due. Sometimes he focuses more on the little nit picky things that need to be changed and not so much on the good that we are doing. He is constantly reading new literature and best ways to improve our school and its climate. He is very high strung and sometimes seems a bit uptight. One time he told us that this is his life. That's great that he loves his job so much (so do we) but he has a wife and a daughter to think about as well.

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 21, 2007

She's a great person.

Ack... my username is MY NAME. :sorry:

But I'm pondering asking, "Can I invite a NASA pilot to come in?" and I am frightened to ask. I spoke to a person who works at NASA, and she told me that he'd have to be around the whole day before speaking to newspaper staff...

So, Principal, may I? :D (gulp)

5. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2007

I love my principal (honestly). She has been a principal for almost 30 years- and is so great with the kids, and parents too. She also always finds the best in things. She also gives us treats in our boxes (just for fun) and leaves us notes when we are good. I wish I could work for her longer than I have. It will be sad when she retires.

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2007

It's nice to hear good stories about principals. With my experience, I was beginning to wonder what's up.

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2007

My current principal is hilarious! She has my sense of humor and she has a knack for seeing the real you! I like that so much! The best thing about her is she allows us to run our own programs the way we see fit because we are the ones in the classrooms with the kids...imagine THAT!! As long as we work together and collaborate, she trusts us and leaves us alone to do the job we've gone to college to learn. She values our brains and abilities. We are not just monkeys (sp) here to do monkey work!!

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 21, 2007

I tell my principal what's on my mind. I've even called him a name to his face. He laughed & then said that I was hired for the next year. Last summer there was a rumor that he wasn't returning. So I called him, at home, at about 10:15p.m. to ask him if the rumor was true.

So I'll tell him almost anything.

9. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

I would tell my principal to treat everyone fairly. I have seen how she treats her "buddies" and how she treats the rest. She always says "we are one big family." Yeah, right! I just roll my eyes and do my job.

10. lowiq

lowiq Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

Listen during interviews; Don't place someone in their weak areas

To listen during interviews. The principal I have now is good. But the one before must have missed it when I explained that discipline is my weak point. I feel like if I am honest with principals they well help place me where I am going to be best. I had a principal do that back in the 80's. After an interview he realized I was stronger in one academic area (Chemistry) and weak in discipline and he talked with another principal in another district who hired me. It was the greatest job I ever had. No discipline problems, everything clicked. (Would have stayed longer than the several years I did put in, but we got a new principal who killed someone and so I like many other teachers resigned. We had been talking about leaving anyway - looking around a lot.)
    Principals have never been helpful like that since. Also I have been hired to teach in situations that are not best for me. I have taken jobs where I trusted the principal's judgement. I think some have felt like they were going to make me improve in my weak areas. To me that doesn't make a lot of sense - they wouldn't have me teach Home Economics which I am weak in. Well, I did have one principal actually tell me that no one wants to teach kids who need to learn discipline. So I guess now days they have to take what they can find.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  11. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2007

I also had a principal once who hired me knowing full well I wouldn't be able to fit in with the school atmosphere of corporal punishment in ILLINOIS where it's illegal anyway....I told the principal when I left that they should never have put me in this situation.

12. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

For the most part our principal is a great guy. However, I think he forgets what it is like in the classroom. He used to teach science, but now he seems to expect the science dept. to do with less - almost as though he is afraid someone will accuse him of favoring the science. So instead we seem to get the short end of the stick.

13. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Jul 21, 2007

I tell my principal almost everything...she is wonderful!!! She's very smart, has very high expectations, supports her staff, offers positive reinforcement, and helps anyone who is stuggling. She also spends a good part of her day tutoring our students who are struggling!!

14. sdzbgdr

sdzbgdr Rookie

Jul 22, 2007

I'm really, really afraid of you

I'm really, really afraid of you.
    I am pretty sure I had a principal calling me on the phone making threats to kill me. He would calmly say that he wanted to see me die. This was back in 1997 or 98. I reported it to the principal, but continued to get the calls at random times, during class, between classes, etc. It was scary because my own children were young at the time and we had no family other than ourselves in kind of a foreign place. But to me, the principal always seemed like the one doing it. The voice was kind of disguised enough so it didn't exactly sound like my principal, but something about the tone or whatever, and the timing of the calls always made me suspect him. I quit that job, but after two years I thought, no, it probably wasn't him and probably now things would be better. I went back and things were much worse in different ways. The same principal would needle me. Once however, he made the mistake of putting me down in a faculty meeting. Other teachers were talking about that, and one did tell me he crossed the line and the put-down was totally uncalled for. That principal then resigned within a year.

15. sdzbgdr

sdzbgdr Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

I am back to update my post about being afraid of my principal. I realize I blew my cover, so there will be teachers that know who wrote this. Also, I have been thinking that principal may not be the one that was making the threats. He might have seemed like it, but maybe it was a set up to put us against each other. So I don't want to say that I am pretty sure it was him. There was another teacher there that was a "hit" man. He left the same year or maybe a year after I did. They said he just never returned. No one knows what happened to him. They didn't know what happened to him. I often wondered if it was him, also.
    But the question was "what do you want to tell your principal," so that would still be the answer. I think I am really afraid of the power that principals have over us.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  16. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jul 30, 2007

This is one thing that I think our principal needs to concentrate on more. She is down there periodically but there are so many issues that she really needs to be there more often. Especially at the beginning of the year, I think she needs to "camp out" down there and absolutely enforce the expectations/procedures. I don't think we have enough supervisors in the lunch room and the place is chaotic and loud. I think her presence would make more of an impact than anything.

17. lowiq

lowiq Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

You are really intelligent! You have great power! I don't trust you.

First of all, I have had some pretty good principals and I have had some of the worst.
    I was surprised to learn that some principals realize they can manage a lot of unethical manipulation right under the noses of so many other people. That in itself doesn’t seem very intelligent. Do they realize how much time some teachers I know, including myself have put into preparing for our jobs? Are they really so cruel as to destroy a person to protect their unethical behavior. It seems stupid, so I have to wonder if they have manipulators above them.
    So that I don’t give away an actual situation and give myself away, I will give a detached example that you can transfer into any number of scenarios that could occur at school.
    Suppose you catch a principal doing something unethical. The principal knows you know. As time goes on you discover yourself in all kinds of situations that tend to make you feel a need to do the same unethical behavior that the principal did. But since you didn’t like what the principal did, you try hard not to do that unethical behavior. More and more things happen over a period of weeks or months – absolutely unbelievable things – things that would never happen under normal circumstances. Finally it gets to such a point (absolutely ridiculous) that you give in and do the unethical deed. You really feel like you have a great excuse and you really feel like everyone will know you were forced into doing it. But then as soon as you commit the unethical deed, then it is suddenly over! Everything calms down! You don’t even tell anyone.
    Things got so weird that you are sure that onlookers have to see what is going on. But that is the thing – the principal realizes that no one puts two and two together and people only see all the ridiculous things you were doing as support for his or her case against the teacher. I can not figure out if they are the masterminds or if it is coming from people above them.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  18. divey

divey Companion

Aug 2, 2007

How wonderful! What a great way to keep her pulse on what is actually going on in each classroom. I have always thought that formal observations were a bit "canned" and that REAL teaching was being missed.

19. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 6, 2007

My principal is wonderful and very supportive. (and I am the "type" who really hates having a boss)

The one thing I would ask of her is to not keep us waiting a long time when we have a meeting and she is running late from a previous meeting. I've wasted my whole conferrence waiting in the hall with my team for a scheduled meeting when a simple, "She can't meet right now." would have been much appreciated.

I've worked in other schools and find favoritism to be the worst quality of many principals.

20. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2007

YES!!!! I'm glad I'm posting right after the last comment! Try not to show favoritism would be what I would say to my principal. She is highly respected in the school and the community. She is very competent and has turned this school around a whole 180!!!! But...I just feels that some people get a half way greeting when others may get a full blown "good morning" and a "how was your weekend" conversation...all in the same breath! Don't I deserve a "how was your weekend?" greeting as well???? Hmmm.....???
    Other than that, she is great!! And visits the classrooms alot at the beginning of the year. Not so much as the year goes on. And my evaluation was excellent, but I wonder does she really know all that I do???? Nope, because she only makes an effort to learn about what her "favorites" are doing. :(